3d design software. What do you use to design your prints?

I reasoned like this:

If I'm going to learn a program I want it to have endless possibilities. So the answer was easy for me: Solidworks.

The software just blows my mind. And there's a ton of tutorial videos on youtube and what not. 

EDIT: And I know that when I fail at doing something and get annoyed at the program, it's not the program that is limiting but my knowledge of it.

I use solidworks since I've used it for 10 years but I'm starting to like autodesk fusion 360 more

it's like a solidworks/3d modeling tool with an easy UI

I love it!

Okay!

Everyone does have his own flavour of CAD software.

The best software is the software you can afford and where you feel comfortable with.

I must say I have used quite a bit of this so called MCAD softwares none of them are perfect.

And quite frankly I think they do not exist.

I'm a long time user of Solid Edge from siemens PLM. the number 4 in the world of midrange MCAD

But look around and discover the world of CAD design

High End MCAD

1. CATIA (Dassault)

2. NX (Siemens PLM)

Midrange MCAD

1. Solidworks (Dassault)

2. Pro/E (Creo now) (PTC)

3. Inventor (Autodesk)

4. Solid Edge (Siemens PLM)

5. Creo/elements (Former Cocreate)

6. Spaceclaim

7. Geomagic Design (Former Alibre)

8. IronCAD

9. Kompass 3D (Ascon)

Entry Level MCAD

1. MegaCAD

2. TurboCAD

Surface/Sculpting CAD

1. Modo

2. Blender

3. Rapidform

4. Geomagic freeform

2D CAD

1. AutoCAD

2. Microstation

Free 2D/3D CAD

1. TinkerCAD (Autodesk)

2. FreeCAD

3. BabaCAD

AND MANY MANY OTHERS....

almost every single one of them have a so called "free to use" version

I use MoI 3D (Moment of Inspiration) http://moi3d.com/.

It is very easy and powerful at the same time, everyone should try it when looking for a good 3D CAD software.

Highly reccomended!

I use Viacad Pro from : http://www.punchcad.com/

Very powerful and very accurate, fairly stable with many choices for import and export formats.

STL configurable for beautiful rounded !

Hi All,

can anyone tell me if you can find a free software “voronoi” (easy to use) to be applied to any type of mesh.

thanks

Really want to learn how to 3d design!! Is there a good way to start out? Links or program?

Really want to learn how to 3d design!! Is there a good way to start out? Links or program?

You might like to try "Autodesk 123D" it is free and there are some great examples of users creating designs and 3D printing them.

http://www.download366.com/autodesk-123d?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WP_USA_LONG_TAIL_&utm_content=Autodesk_123D&utm_term=Get%20Autodesk%20123D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUbDcUPed50Y_7KmfCXKohA

OK.. Desingnspark Mechanical... Simple and free.. If you can draw a 2D shape you can use this software!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgMY3-hlgs

I use the new fusion 360 from auto desk… Works good… Don’t have much experience with other cad software so I can’t compare it, but I just started learning it and seems fairly powerful and easy to use… However the sketch system can sometimes get messy at least with my experience level…

Okay!

Everyone does have his own flavour of CAD software.

The best software is the software you can afford and where you feel comfortable with.

I must say I have used quite a bit of this so called MCAD softwares none of them are perfect.

And quite frankly I think they do not exist.

I'm a long time user of Solid Edge from siemens PLM. the number 4 in the world of midrange MCAD

But look around and discover the world of CAD design

High End MCAD

1. CATIA (Dassault)

2. NX (Siemens PLM)

Midrange MCAD

1. Solidworks (Dassault)

2. Pro/E (Creo now) (PTC)

3. Inventor (Autodesk)

4. Solid Edge (Siemens PLM)

5. Creo/elements (Former Cocreate)

6. Spaceclaim

7. Geomagic Design (Former Alibre)

8. IronCAD

9. Kompass 3D (Ascon)

Entry Level MCAD

1. MegaCAD

2. TurboCAD

Surface/Sculpting CAD

1. Modo

2. Blender

3. Rapidform

4. Geomagic freeform

2D CAD

1. AutoCAD

2. Microstation

Free 2D/3D CAD

1. TinkerCAD (Autodesk)

2. FreeCAD

3. BabaCAD

AND MANY MANY OTHERS....

almost every single one of them have a so called "free to use" version

Shame on you Dirk :P As a belgian you forgot to mention the best export product of belgium next to chocolate: BricsCAD.

Ok, i know many are sceptical for all those AutoCAD clones, but really, this one beats them all. I still have AutoCAD because i have too (development purposes) but i don't use it any more since 2010 (starting with ACAD 9 in DOS).

Yeah you're correct, I did know they started to build a solid modeler around the acis kernel.  But I was not aware they did it so fast.

So it looks nice, but is it really powerfull ? Is it stable ?

I think for users who want to use it for making things like most of us do here for use with the M200, it should be more than satisfying.

Who know's maybe one day I will be a dedicated BricsCAD users. Why not !

Yes, for most users it will be more then satisfying. They are doing a great job and it is very stable, at least for the purposes i use it.

I use Autodesk Inventor and Maya for most of my work.  Maya is really great for direct modeling and Inventor is great for parametric design.

I have also used SolidWorks, but I find Inventor's interface easier to use.

I've also played with Autodesk Fusion 360.  This is a great piece of software for someone who wants to get started in 3D design.

Fusion 360 which is full featured and for hobbyists its free.

David

I really think for someone starting... Go and take a good dive to Fusion 360.. I am liking it more and more and it's free for hobbiest!

I've used Onshape for my last project - a cell phone charging shelf.  It's still in beta, free for hobbyists and $100/month for pros.  The free version gives you 10 documents and 100 MB storage for private projects and up to 5 GB storage for public projects.  The cell phone project used up 0.5 MB storage.

This is what I use based based on the type of project I am working on

Fusion 360 (free for hobby use, terrific design tool) I use this the most 

FreeCAD (engineering/architectural)

Blender (artistic/experimentation)

3d-coat

Zbrush if it’s organic.
Solidworks, if not.
Artec Studio to 3d scan stuff to replicate.
Long time ago I’ve already used 3ds Max but I don’t like it. At all.