Bad surface finish

I just printed my first part that has a large flat top, and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the surface quality. There are raised and depressed diagonal strips all across the surface. If you watch it print, it can be seen that this is a result of the printer cutting across the surface while doing the shells which leaves a single path of plastic on a diagonal. When it comes back to fill in the layer, it will print up to this line then skip over it and continue. This results in VERY obvious paths across the surface. I think this is done in an attempt to optimize time, but in my opinion the time savings (if any) just aren't worth it. Has anybody else run into this?

Picture please…just to see if it worse than normal…

The upload kept failing with my pc, but I got it with my phone.

This is pretty normal and has been reported here previously. Drew Petitclerc believes it is due to ball screw backlash.

I think it's actually due to how the part is printed. Every single one of those marks was the result of the printhead cutting across a fresh layer leaving a single strip of plastic. The final layer or two (or even three) should be done in one continuous back-and-forth pattern as to not cause these sort of disruptions. Hopefully this will be updated, because these parts are getting sold and I'm almost embarrassed sending them out the door.

The top surfaces of the rafts look great; why can't the tops of the parts look like that?

This is pretty normal and has been reported here previously. Drew Petitclerc believes it is due to ball screw backlash.

So I just watched another one print, and now I'm even more annoyed. As I explained before, the printer leaves a strip of plastic when it's cutting across the part to do another section of the outline. I thought that this was an attempt to save time (pretty much none, but whatever), but here's the thing: when the printer fills in up to that strip, IT STOPS PRINTING AND FOLLOWS THE LINE AS IF IT WERE PRINTING IT! The printer then resumes on the next line and continues on it's merry way. The ONE THING that they would have to change to solve all of this is just reverse that: shut off the printing when cutting across for outlines, then do the layer fill in one continuous pattern. THAT'S IT. The cutting doesn't even need to change since it uses the correct pattern; just change when it does and doesn't print.

I've already reported this in the bug section.

Previous version of Z-suite were better for such surfaces.

So today I realized why they did this. The cross-line is being used as a run-in to the outside seam, which prevents blobs or gaps that may form if the printing is started on the seam. In other words it's a compromise: surface finish or seam integrity/appearance. But there just has to be a better way. Maybe do the outside line after the infill so the head can run straight from the last fill line to the seam? I don't know what will work, but I really hope that they find a solution.

What are your seams settings?

Hi Julia,

This is not the issue I have been tracking, I will look for a better example.

What I have seen is not these perpendicular cross lines.

Sorry about the confusion.

Regards

Drew

I Like Fairies

Ah, sorry for misquoting you, Drew, I assumed it was the same issue.