Big scare

OK had a MAJOR scare with the zortrax this avo , turned it on to start a print , heard some strange noise then there was a LOT of smoke coming from the bottom if it near the power connector .. very very quickly turned everything off , took the bottom plate off and did a inspection and nothing .... no scorch marks , no burns , no frayed wires , so put it together again , waited an hour an turned it on ... there is still that electrical buringt smell but everything seems to be working properly ???? have you got any clue what so ever what may be happening here , if i cant get to the cause of it I may have to scrap it for safety reasons

If you're sure you were able to check everything, my bet is the PSU under the machine; it's at that spot and it has it's own enclosure so you wont be able to see inside of it.

maybe a spider/insect got a zapped? 

zapped bugs dont set off smoke alarms

Old filament worked it's way to the PSU?

Anyways, would monitor prints carefully for a while.

well for some stupid reason , after one failed test print after another the dam thing is just starting to behave it self and the electrical burning smell is almost gone , failed prints include not bonding to bed at all (bed was only luke warm not hot) , another the filament wasnt bonding together and was just nothing but lumps of strings and another that was just burnt filament clumped round the nozzle and hotend ... I can def guaranty if it's not back to normal this ones going into the recycle bin

Probably worth shipping it back to Zortrax for repair, cheaper than buying a new one. 

After speaking to support they suggested it could be dust contaminating the PSU and to blow it out with a air compressor which I did , there was black dust on the motherboard and that blew from the PSU , after waiting two hours after that I started a new print thats been going for about 4 hours and all seems to be going ok now with 6 1/2 hours more to finish , so will keep monitoring it until it finishes

If you had something blow up in the power supply, even though it still appears to be working, I'd get a new power supply.

Replacement power supplies are cheap, replacement houses not so much.

Plus even if nothing else happens, you have a less-than-perfect power supply, so output voltage {regulation, ripple, noise} is likely to be (or get more) out of whack...

If you had something blow up in the power supply, even though it still appears to be working, I'd get a new power supply.

Replacement power supplies are cheap, replacement houses not so much.

Plus even if nothing else happens, you have a less-than-perfect power supply, so output voltage {regulation, ripple, noise} is likely to be (or get more) out of whack...

Yer I'm looking into that as I type .... to tell the truth even though it seems to be working ok again , after all the smoke that was coming from it I dont trust it ... the one very obvious thing I have noticed and it may be nothing is that the "time left" to finish the print on the front panel is WAY out off wack ,it tells me there is 6 hour left to finish a print but finishes two hours earlier ???

Electronic components contain magic smoke that enables them to work properly. Once that smoke escapes it is virtually impossible to put it back and without it proper functioning is very rare.. I wouldn't trust that power supply, especially for unattended printing. Repair or replacement, preferably replacement, is in order. Good luck.  

Yer I'm looking into that as I type .... to tell the truth even though it seems to be working ok again , after all the smoke that was coming from it I dont trust it ... the one very obvious thing I have noticed and it may be nothing is that the "time left" to finish the print on the front panel is WAY out off wack ,it tells me there is 6 hour left to finish a print but finishes two hours earlier ???

Are you using 1.7.2.(1)  release?  I noticed on my last print, that the time estimate was way off as well (not by hours, I think it was like 20 mins or something).