Burns on print

Hi,

after a 15 hr print i have burn makes on my white part!! I dont understand why this happens. Does anyone have a answer to this problem??

plastic that oxidizes (burn) onto your nozzle tip and heater block and then flakes off during printing then gets smeared into your part.

The burns show up on White and Yellow most commonly.

How do I stop that form occurring?

Put a filament cleaner at the beginning of the feed tube, a sponge will work, there are printable cleaner containers on Thingiverse. This will help stop any dust and other particulate from entering the nozzle and building up causing some of the burning. There is always going to be a possibility of the plastic its self burning, not much you can do to stop that.

Hi,

after a 15 hr print i have burn makes on my white part!! I dont understand why this happens. Does anyone have a answer to this problem??

Please, go to Support Center and use tips from this manual: http://support.zortrax.com/burn-marks-on-the-model/

It’s only a few weeks old the nozzle just put it in. How often do you have to clean. My other printer is 6 months old never had to do this. I take a wire bush before every print and clean nozzle when it’s hot. So it’s not like it’s dirty before the print. But noticed after print there is black Burnt plastic on nozzle.

Is everything tight on the hot end?  

I had a hot end that the top screws were a tad loose and it would drip burnt filament out and down on to the print. 

I would think so just installed it but would need to check. I notice it seem to be doing a lot of oozing anymore and leaving little bits of plastic on the sides of parts

Hey there Nicks!

The best idea would be contacting our support regarding this issue and sending them couple of photos showing the problem: www.support.zortrax.com

Generally there can be few reasons of that kind of effect.

1. Nozzle is stuck with the pieces of filament (the most frequent cases are caused by the different filament colours used in many prints)

2. Extruder cable is broken

3. Fan is not working properly

Regards,

Chris

Hey there Nicks!

The best idea would be contacting our support regarding this issue and sending them couple of photos showing the problem: www.support.zortrax.com

Generally there can be few reasons of that kind of effect.

1. Nozzle is stuck with the pieces of filament (the most frequent cases are caused by the different filament colours used in many prints)

2. Extruder cable is broken

3. Fan is not working properly

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

I know the fan works I set it to auto in z-suite but I have had a few time where it sad the extruder was heating but the % stopped moving but it just kept heating. Only reason I noticed was when I smelled something like buring. Hasn’t don’t it and a while. Replaced heater and thermocouple.

All of the dropped oxidized plastic is from the small curl of extruding plastic that oozes out as the extruder is heating up at the very beginning of a print run, I teach all users to "pick the nose" of the extruder just as it starts to move at the beginning of the print to remove these bits otherwise they will be pushed back up onto the heater block and nozzle tip and eventually fall into your print.

You also will have these marks if you use a thick layer setting and fast movement on a printer as there will be places where the plastic does not get a good bond to the last layer and as the stray strand cools it will curl up and on the next pass of the extruder tip it will get melted onto it and then build up and drop in the future.

NONE of the issues listed above have any effect or cause of this issue, if you change plastics from red to white and you observe red spotting it would be obvious but this is NOT the case, you are getting oxidized (burnt) plastic falling into your part during the build and that will only come from the exterior of the nozzle and heater block, if you have a leak anywhere between the nozzle tip heater block and melt barrel it should be easy to see and smell as the plastic will oxidize and bubble quickly at the high temp surface and exposure to air.

Random buildup and embedment of burnt plastic normally happens at random spots around a print. This case is interesting because all the burn marks seem to be in one area of Nick's print.

Random buildup and embedment of burnt plastic normally happens at random spots around a print. This case is interesting because all the burn marks seem to be in one area of Nick's print.

I know its weird. I mean sometimes its In a few spots but this was the worse case.

Best thing to do (as with most printing problems) is watch carefully while it's happening and you'll see the cause.

Best thing to do (as with most printing problems) is watch carefully while it's happening and you'll see the cause.

Nick, try doing what Julia suggested above and give us the feedback what happend and if you saw something, that may be the cause of your problem. Apart of that, as always, I strongly suggest reporting this issue to our customer service team: support@zortrax.com

Best,

Chris

I’ve had a couple issues like this, and they were oddly all in white. What I noticed was that, for whatever reason, in a couple areas some printed bit would curl and stick up a bit above the rest of the layer. This caused the nozzle to ruin into it which caused burning and further ruining that spot.

My advice is to try the print again; if it is what happened to me, it probably won’t happen again (at least not in the same spot). If you see it starting to happen, look really closely at the burned spot and see if you notice anything specific going on.

Really I think they have the temp on the extruder way to hot but that's just me. I think 10 degges less there wouldn't be burns

Really I think they have the temp on the extruder way to hot but that's just me. I think 10 degges less there wouldn't be burns

I’m going to agree with you. Since the update things seem to be running much hotter than they were; I have a couple parts with terrible (bubbled) surfaces to show it. Oddly I only experience that with my black filament though.

I'm going to agree with you. Since the update things seem to be running much hotter than they were; I have a couple parts with terrible (bubbled) surfaces to show it. Oddly I only experience that with my black filament though.

Wow really me too only with the black. I get weird lines and marks on the out side of the print. I was thinking maybe it was a bad roll of black but maybe not. after you have the problem too. Please zortrax fix this!!