Checklist before very long prints

You might all be aware that Zortrax is one of the few printers that you can reliably leave printing for 1-3 days.

Because of this, I am building for myself a checklist to follow before very long prints (24+ hours).

Please feel free to add to this from your own experience, it might help others but also me and I am thanking you for it. Don't be shy, please add!

I will try to keep the list updated with your input. Please write 2a) if your comment goes between 2) and 3) for example.

Checklist

0) UPS working and charged, in case of power outages

1) filament available on spool using a scale or whatever method you prefer

2) tangles on spool

3) spool can rotate freely

4) filament diameter

5) clean dust sponge (I use one before the filament goes into the tube)

6) extruder drive gear is clean of filament debris (if you hear random knocks than there is for sure debris there)

7) extruder idler bearing rotates freely

8) extruder assembly is clean of debris

9) nozzle is clean
10) pulley set screws are tight (not necessary before every long print but it's good if you haven't checked lately)

11) heated bed is cleaned accordingly (take it out, clean under the perf board, straighten perf board)

12) heated bed is level

13) scuff the board with emery cloth (or use your method)

14) apply gluestick or Z-Juice (ABS/acetone mix)

15) raft is laid uniformly, a little smooshed

I usually inspect the print until first layer is laid and only then leave the printer do its job alone.

Edited to add new lines.

These can go just about anywhere on the list:

8a) Nozzle is clean

8b) Verify that pulley set screws are tight (not necessary before every long print but it's good if you haven't checked lately)

Those that use gluestick should have that on the list as well as scuffing the board with emery cloth.

Mike

Another thing to consider would be a UPS (the ones normally used for computers)…in my neighborhood I get a lot of “brown outs” as soon as it storms a little… Would suck if you have a 3 day print going and a short power interruption tanks it…

Another thing to consider would be a UPS (the ones normally used for computers)...in my neighborhood I get a lot of "brown outs" as soon as it storms a little... Would suck if you have a 3 day print going and a short power interruption tanks it...

I lost a 5 hour print because of a quick outage.. :angry:

What type of UPS is working for you?

Printer needs less than 200W so almost any decent quality UPS should work, right?

If you have a print that will go longer than 12 hours checking the filament diameter will not matter, except for the first few hours being that you will only reach the top 2 or 3 layers of spooled material with calipers. Yes to start is important if you are not going to check on it for the fill 24+ hours however it is not super important. I find most often than not, a printer will elect to have a "problem" when your back is turned.

-Michael

You might all be aware that Zortrax is one of the few printers that you can reliably leave printing for 1-3 days.

I'm very jealous. My experience has been the exact opposite. I get nervous running anything over 4 hours.  :angry:

Have printed several 18hr+ prints without any issues.

@somepunk…what issues do you have on long prints?

Large part shifts and gaps where the extruder decides to quit. Both my M200's are down now. One is getting a new ribbon cable, other is TBD. That will be the 3rd cable for that machine. The newer printer finished a 22hr print earlier this week. 3 tall wide parts. The fan side part was ruined pretty early on with shifts and gaps. 2nd and 3rd part shifted over a 1/2" in the last few hours making a large amount of wasted Z-ABS. I have a good pile of failed printer parts from other issues. I picked up a second machine because the first was down so often. Fingers crossed for the future.  :(

I haven't run into the issue, but supposedly the shifts are due to loose screws on the pulleys. Go through and tighten them up with an eye on the axis along which the shift happened. Even better would be to take each one out and add a drop of temporary loctite.

All my pulleys are nice and snug. A 1/2" jump would be pretty big for a pulley slip? I don't have this issue on my V2 M200. I wish they came with some loctite from the factory.