Color printing on the Zortrax 200

I just came across this website: http://www.mosaicmanufacturing.com/.  I'm not really savvy in software, so I was wondering if Zortrax has looked into this company and would be interested in working with them to be able to use their product with the Z200.  And, I was wondering if the Zortrax suite could not only save in Z-code, but, also have the option to save a file in G-code/x3G.  It looks like a terrific way to print in color using water soluble support filaments, and now even using conductive filaments.

I just came across this website: http://www.mosaicmanufacturing.com/. I'm not really savvy in software, so I was wondering if Zortrax has looked into this company and would be interested in working with them to be able to use their product with the Z200. And, I was wondering if the Zortrax suite could not only save in Z-code, but, also have the option to save a file in G-code/x3G. It looks like a terrific way to print in color using water soluble support filaments, and now even using conductive filaments.

Z-suite already does that to an extent. I'm not sure how they did the cube print on their page but everything else is easily achievable with the color change option in z suite that allows you to select which layer you add the pause funtion to swith colors.

It looks to me like Mosaic does more complex color blending than the Zortrax is capable of doing.  Looks like they have a blending unit that takes in multiple filaments and spits one mixed stream to the printer.  They seem to have an interesting process, though it wouldn't fill a critical need for what I do.  The artistic modelers would probably like it though.

Mike

That looks really promising. Too bad the M200 doesn’t support g-code.

Not sure how easy/difficult calibration would be, since the distance from the mixer to the nozzle would affect when the different colors come out.

Remind me why we’re all printing with filament and not pellets? Gravity is cheaper and more reliable than motors.

You can have a look at Cyclops hotend, it will be able to mix/blend/change 2 colors, hopefully more in the future (wish for up to four). But this is subject for a different Zortrax printer. M200 will remain single hotend.

If ZSuite isn't supporting Mosaic directly there is no way to be sure where the colors go into the print. Might be an idea for a future add-on though ;)

ahmedjaber, probably because steppers can control the flowrate best while pellets need a powerful motor that can only do constant speed.

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of people are dismissing Mosaic thinking it is just a simple two color process.  In fact, if you go to their blog, they are showing a complete flashlight that was printed with PLA filament as an insulator, F-ELECTRIC'S conductive filament, and two different ABS filaments for the outer case.  This was all printed with a single head, without having to manually change filaments. The only other thing added was an LED light and a battery to make it a working flashlight.  I think this would be extremely hard to print only on the M200 as currently supported, trying to place each filament exactly in the proper position on the print.  Also by having Zortrax support  Mosaic, it would be a way to honor the promise on the kickstarter that involved a second head.  No need for that if  they would support Mosaic.  Mosaic states that single head printers offer a better print than dual head printers.  Everyone knows the M200 is a superior filament printer, this would be icing on the cake.