Dragging on raft

When I am printing the first couple of layers of the raft, the nozzle scrapes across the already laid down layers when making an air move. Does this happen to anyone else? I calibrate with a piece of paper. I just tried the auto calibrate to see what it does and used the numbers to get it close. Center was zero, 3 out of four corners were ± 0.0something and one corner was always 0.5something. No matter what I do however the nozzle rubs on the raft.

Dhatw.

Does it pull it off?

Mine does the same. A couple of times it pushed one of the lines to the side…most of the time it’s no issue, though. I wonder if it would be possible to lower the bed for the rapid move.

I don’t even watch mine anymore. Just check it every now and then.

I was wondering the same, I know it has been done.[quote name=Andre]Mine does the same. A couple of times it pushed one of the lines to the side…most of the time it’s no issue, though. I wonder if it would be possible to lower the bed for the rapid move.
[/quote]

Mine does the same, yes. It hurts, when I watch.

Yea, same for me.

Yep same here, and yes it hurts a little to see and hear it :wink:

Another problem i have run into is that the first raft-layer is printet so close to the bed that it occasionally clogs the extruder. But with only a few small gaps in the raft lines it prints okay anyways… My bed is calibrated to ± 0.0 something all the way around, so it’s probably the initial model calibration that is just a little off.

When doing the calibration the extruder also pushes down the corners so the platform lifts in the opposite side at first, but then goes down to normal level and calibrates. It’s like there is an latency between contact registration and stop command, and when it has so much speed in z-direction it simply goes to far in the beginning. The nozzle is pretty clean, so that souldn’t be the problem, plus I make sure to remove the excess plastic just befor the print starts.

Don’t know if it’s only me…

Make sure the small plug is completely in the PCB connector and that the black cable on top of the extruder block has a good connection too. My nozzle has only once pushed down on the bed but I think it was because it wasn’t clean.

@lumax

Check that your perf board sits absolutely flat on the aluminum platform. If you have “springy feeling” sections you might have to take the board off and re-bend it a little. Mine bulges a little too in some spots. Depending on where the nozzle hits the board for the cal there might still be bulged spots next to it that sit higher relative to the cal point. Those high spots are probably where your nozzle gets clogged.

Thanks The6uest and Andre for the answers, will try the suggestions and see if it helps with the problems.

Actually this also happens on the UP machines and I suspect it is also deliberate on the M200. The bed stays the same height so the transverse layers stick to the bed as well, otherwise they would only stick to the previous layers. This gives the raft more surface area to help stick better.

We’re talking about rapid moves where no filament is extruded.

OK, but is that still during the second layer of the raft ? If so then my comment still stands.

[quote name=wilsonj]OK, but is that still during the second layer of the raft ? If so then my comment still stands.
[/quote]

Actually, it is still during the first layer.

Would be for the same reason I suspect. All about printing NS and EW at the same height.