Enclosure

Hi!

Happy new year!

First post in the forum, I guess… :slight_smile:

My old printer was sitting in an enclosure with a carbon filter and fan to avoid the ABS fumes and it worked perfectly! Zero smell.

How strong is the smell of the Z ABS filament?

Would it be OK on the Zortrax to close up the sides/top with acrylic and add a carbon filter? Any concerns with component temperatures?

Thanks!

“How strong is the smell of the Z ABS filament?”

For me it have zero smell even in very small non-ventilated room smell is not noticeable. But when I tested few weeks ago standard Chinese ABS then in 100m2 office I can notice everywhere horribly bad smell after few minutes of printing.

“Would it be OK on the Zortrax to close up the sides/top with acrylic and add a carbon filter? Any concerns with component temperatures?”

Acrylic should be ok.

The most important is to keep printer nozzle and heater block cleaned so before new print beginning when temperature reach around 220C then I just use paper towel (or even toilet paper) to clean residues on the nozzle because the only smell which you can notice with Z-ABS comes from old residues on the nozzle/heater block.

Best Regards

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski]“Would it be OK on the Zortrax to close up the sides/top with acrylic and add a carbon filter? Any concerns with component temperatures?”

Acrylic should be ok.
[/quote]

What happens if the steppers overheat? Should you turn x and y motors to the outer side of the printer like on Ultimaker?

I guess it depends on how you set up the carbon filter fan. You can make an enclosure without increasing the inner temperature by having a constant slow flow of air. Just have some holes in the bottom area of the acrylic and mount the fan with carbon filter on the top… This way you constantly pull outside air into the system and exhaust filtered (non smelly) air. By adjusting the fan speed you have direct influence on the enclosure temp. It’s important to have an adjustable fan since you don’t want to flow too much air and possibly “overcool” the heated bed, of course…

[quote name=Andre]How strong is the smell of the Z ABS filament?

Would it be OK on the Zortrax to close up the sides/top with acrylic and add a carbon filter? Any concerns with component temperatures?
[/quote]

There isn’t much smell but what I wonder is if the fumes are harmful?

As for closing it up, you could cover the sides but the top is where the head is and filament feeds so it wouldn’t be easy to cover that unless it’s a tall cover…

No it isn’t in amount which produce printer.

The amount of melted filament is really small and we keep melting temperature around 30C down from the irritate fumes zone this is why only Z-ABS is suggested to use with Zortrax when I tested Chinese abs from eBay I felt ill after few minutes of printing and smell was so irritate, every ABS have different properties but I can say that with Z-ABS I don’t worry about my health.

Best Regards

Good to hear!

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski][quote=The6uest]

There isn’t much smell but what I wonder is if the fumes are harmful?

[/quote]

No it isn’t in amount which produce printer.

The amount of melted filament is really small and we keep melting temperature around 30C down from the irritate fumes zone this is why only Z-ABS is suggested to use with Zortrax when I tested Chinese abs from eBay I felt ill after few minutes of printing and smell was so irritate, every ABS have different properties but I can say that with Z-ABS I don’t worry about my health.

Best Regards
[/quote]

Good to hear that. I will however make an enclosure once I buy the printer from laminated MDF . It will contain an hepa filter and cooler (I think I’ll use the printer to print the turbine itself.)

This is to protect the printer from dust. I have an air purifyer but the dust amount is still quite large. A thermistor will keep constant temperature inside the enclosure.

Would you mind sharing your parts list for the off the shelf componets, I think i would like to build an enclosure too dwn the road.

I have mine in a 10x10 foot room. Can’t smell anything yet.

Lol, what, all by itself at the other end of the house? :lol:

Mine is on the other side of the room, but there is not much air flow, I keep a door open, but after a while i can smell/taste something in the air, very faint, but it is there.

No… It’s in the BAR!!! lol

That’s it! I’m getting a Kegerator!

New addition to the bar!!!

Please note the beer tap on the left side… lol

I guess we have a winner!

Hexcellent work Smithers!

When can we get a look at that shot glass?

[quote name=Kyle]Please note the beer tap on the left side… lol
[/quote]

…and the shot glass being printed. :wink: My coworkers said it would be cool to drink beer while watching things print so you got yours in a perfect place for that!

I see you got a camera on it too. Recording video?

Time lapse video… I’ll put the link on here after my partner renders it.

Here you go!!!