Enclosure

Good job! Looking forward to seeing the time lapse video! :slight_smile:

[quote name=Geisterfahrer]Would you mind sharing your parts list for the off the shelf componets, I think i would like to build an enclosure too dwn the road.
[/quote]

No I don’t however I plan to get the printer about 2014 April so you have to wait.

Just an idea !

I don’t know if zabs fumes are toxic or not, however it was able to trigger my asthma…:confused: No big deal, but my wife insisted we solve the problem (and we disliked the odor in our small lab, especialy with small kids arround).

I first thought about setting up something with a carbon filter, however I quickly changed my mind : it seems that best carbon filters can filter out “most” particules with a size over .3uM, however typical abs particles are in the range of .015uM, wich would then be useless. The best way we found was then to build a cheap “cooker hood” to go over the Zortrax and extract all fumes by the window… A few days later, with watever could be found at the local hardware store, here is the result. The fan is a typical (very cheap, 15€) bathroom extractor, the structure is simple d6 threaded rod, the plastic sheet outside is simple transparent tablecloth. It works perfectly, it does not smell any more in the lab (at all), and the prints are perfect. It is very light and can be raised with one hand. There is about 2cm space at the table level to let air input, and natural convection, with a little help from the fan is doing the rest.

That is good except when it is cold outside the cold comes in the window. :slight_smile:

il fait beau, a Nantes… :smiley:

Seriously, that’s a nice build !

I was wondering if the printer really smells or not. It ill be in my living room, so I wonder if it will be annoying or not…

Pilou, all I can tell you is that my UP had too much smell for me…and we heard that ZABS and UP filament are pretty similar…

I guess we will know for sure in a couple of days! :wink:

I will probably put some magnetic covers on the side and a hat on top (similar to f1iqf’s picture) but I will just have a carbon filter and no tube. Worked so well with the UP.

[quote name=pilou74]il fait beau, a Nantes… :smiley:

Seriously, that’s a nice build !

I was wondering if the printer really smells or not. It ill be in my living room, so I wonder if it will be annoying or not…
[/quote]

Mine is in my bar. 10x10 room. not too bad at all. Wife hasn’t yelled at me yet so we must be ok. :smiley:

@The6uest is right : that’s ok when it’s not too cold outside. We’re lucky here with a pretty warm winter (yes @Pilou74, rainy, as usual… but I heard Paris is so this year !). If the printer stays here in the future I will either install a proper vent or connect to the dryer’s one…

As for us, the smell was not the bigguest problem (not that bad, just a symptom), but the “UFP” (Ultra Fine Particules) which were triggering some (light but noticeable) athma on my lungs. So this was more of a medical/security concern to me, as I wish to use it a lot in the coming months, without coughing all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

If interested, my company, 3DPrintClean is developing a 3D Printer filtration system that filters fumes, unpleasant odors and dangerous concentrations of Ultrafine Particles, making it safe to print in homes and offices. In addition, the solution improves print quality by reducing warping, curling and cracking.  See 3dprintclean.com for details.  Our filtration system will be built on a Zortrax M200.