Extruder crashes into platform

Hey there

today I wanted to print an object and all was fine until the printer started to make his
z axis calibration which he makes before he starts to print. The extruder came down
and hit the platform so strong that now there is a little hole in the platform  :o
I switched off the printer immediately and restart it but since this crash he always 
hit the platform! 
What could I do?

check the small platform connector to see if it's damaged or not seated properly

but anyway contact support

Check the connector like Voudas suggested. But even if you get it fixed you’ll probably need a new plate now since the metal contact is damaged. I’d contact support and see if they’d send you a new one.

Checked the connector but still the same issue.

We have the same issue after three good prints, autoadjust has the same problem too

It’s most likely the connector pins. You won’t see it with your eyes. You have to use a magnifying glass. You probably scraped the pins with the spatula. It doesn’t take much to damage them and it may still look good to the naked eye.

Make sure your nozzle and bed contacts are clean. If they are, then there is a connection issue somewhere. If you have a multimeter/voltmeter you could make sure there is a voltage between the left and right plate connector pins (i think 12v?).

we didnt use the spatula and had only little prints far away from the connectors???? How clean is clean? Is there any how to clean advice/video?

Clean means conductive for this issue. For the Z-Axis leveling the nozzle and the metallic area on the perfboard has to be conductive.

Both should not be covered by any kind of material. You could also switch off the printer and check for continuity between the metallic areas on the perfboard. They should all be connected together with the right soldier pad of the small connector on the perfboard.

hotend is v1 or v2?

So on the connector there are 3.3V and the metallic areas are all connected together thats why I don't think the little connector

is the problem. I am using the hotend v1. 

The problem is like I thought in the connection between the hotend and the platform! I am sure about that because when

I make the connection between them with a wire the printer starts to print.

So it's because the crash which damaged the surface of the platform and now there isn't any electrical connection between the 

platform and the hotend. Sad thing.... hope they will replace it.

y but this doesnt explain why the 1st crash occured...

It's your decission: you can think, I would do measures!  :)

Measuring voltage is nonsense if you don't know what has to be the correct voltage at what operation condition and in addition it could damage the printer if you shorten something.

You did no mention the soldier right soldier pad of the connector, is it connected to the metallic areas on the bed?

If so, then check if the corresponding pin of the connector on the opposite side (to the back) is also connected to the metallic areas or the soldier pad.

Check the 3 pins for damage also. You could also check that the left and middle soldier pad are not connected to the right one (left and middle are connected).

Last check: prepare a probe or just a piece of cable that is long enough to connect the nozzle from the middle of the bed position to one of the metallic area at the front.

Start a print and as soon as the bed is moving up touch the nozzle and the metallic area. The printer should try to level immediately.

Switch the printer off at this point regardless of the result.

If at this point with all connections testes and no leveling started, the there could be a problem with the connection from the extruder to the controller or the small cable from the perfboard behind the small connector.

If you know how to track it down further, measure. If not, better open a ticket with reseller or support.

oops, the thread continued.

If the wire test succeeded then it has to be one of the following I wrote before:

You did no mention the soldier right soldier pad of the connector, is it connected to the metallic areas on the bed?

If so, then check if the corresponding pin of the connector on the opposite side (to the back) is also connected to the metallic areas or the soldier pad.

Check the 3 pins for damage also. You could also check that the left and middle soldier pad are not connected to the right one (left and middle are connected).

Hmm, no...

If you put a wire between the hotend and the platform (one of the metallic areas ?) then there is every connection that is needed.

Check your nozzle again for being coated with something and especially the very miid point of the middle metallic area on the bed (if it is conductive).

Use a metal brush to clean the bottom of nozzle.

Exactly  ;) I did that a few times but there is still same issue.

@ voudas you are right the first hit is curious. But i find it a little risky the

system they are using to calibrate the z-axis because there is always some abs 

which is flowing out from the hotend and if this gets between the hotend and the

platform I am not sure how good the connection is???

Exactly  ;) I did that a few times but there is still same issue.

@ voudas you are right the first hit is curious. But i find it a little risky the

system they are using to calibrate the z-axis because there is always some abs 

which is flowing out from the hotend and if this gets between the hotend and the

platform I am not sure how good the connection is???

I don't know what the specific design of the system is, but I do know that I have yet to have any issue with it. As long as there is note a huge gob of molten plastic I imagine it should work fine. It's possible that there was just a fluke that caused the first crash and now the plate is too damaged to work as intended. 

I cannot get the issue at all anymore.

If the printer levels when a wire is put between the platform and the nozzle, why should it not do that if the nozzle touches the platform directly?

This could happen only if there is some coating between the platform and the nozzle exists

Well, another thought: If there is a broken extruder cable it could cause an error on a higher Z-Pos (when the bed is at the nozzle) and be fine when on a lower Z-Pos (when putting the wire between).

only the top layer of the plate is coated with conductive material. Under this layer there is nothing which could 

conduct with the hot end. In my case this layer is damaged like LabRat mentioned. So no electrical connection

and the printer drives the hotend down "forever".