extruder gear and stepper fan mod

Right now I'm testing the next version of my extruder gear fan mod. It has developed to a extruder gear and stepper fan mod, since it vents the stepper motor now also by creating an area of air flow above the motor.

My first thread about the mod was removed completely together with a false accuse from an eager Z-Staff guy. After that I felt I had to remove also something and that's what I did (yes, that's the week of  customers revenge). :ph34r:

I removed the metallic bracket that holds the extruder PCB because I cannot see why it is needed (it holds the PCB, that's done by the mod now). Maybe it was thought to shield the PCB from the extruders heat, I think it carries the heat upwards instead and holds the heat inside that block of stepper and bracket.

By removing the bracket there is much more space above the stepper and the mod directs some air flow from behind over the motor.

The pics show the mod and the air flow is marked on some in green. I am not satisfied with the efficiency of the fans flow going thru the ducts, want to get more volume thru them instead of being reflected by the wall directly behind the fan (still have to improve my (S)cad skills…

Planned additions:

- bracket for ribbon cable and filament tube support

- temp display

- cable supports for the mod

I would think that adding another fan to blow air around the print chamber would changed the ambient temperature and cause warping or adhesion issues. 

:D But I'm not brilliant..just practical.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P

I would think that adding another fan to blow air around the print chamber would changed the ambient temperature and cause warping or adhesion issues. 

I would not think that fans inside a print chamber change ambient temp. Fans that are connected to the outside of a chamber blowing air inside could change temp inside, I would think.  :P

Of course if additional flow is generated that gets to the printed object it could generate warping or adhesions issues.

The direction of the air flow the mod generates is horizontal and far above the nozzle, be sure I am the first to cry out loud if it does any harm.

But I'm not brilliant..just practical.

Me too, that's why I test it now.

very cool !!

I would not think that fans inside a print chamber change ambient temp. Fans that are connected to the outside of a chamber blowing air inside could change temp inside, I would think.  :P

Of course if additional flow is generated that gets to the printed object it could generate warping or adhesions issues.

The direction of the air flow the mod generates is horizontal and far above the nozzle, be sure I am the first to cry out loud if it does any harm.

Me too, that's why I test it now.

Look forward to your results.

B)

Look forward to your results.

B)

this will take some time, at the weekend I had to learn what the difference between the more durable ribbon cable and the older version ribbon cable is.

Before I thought that 'more durable' cable was a joke, but I'm learning still (and will buy some parts tomorrow).  :wub:

even with a broken ribbon cable the printer is able to produce art (me not doing that normally)  :ph34r:

z-renegade

let me know how the ribbon cable fix goes, and what you have to do to fix?

what version ribbon cable ?

z-renegade

I have had to make a lot of replacements for ribbon cables, it is a replacement issue not a repair for most. The ribbon cable can sometimes develop a break in it causing a lot of different problems, the only way to truly fix it is to replace it at the moment. There are some things you can do to avoid a break in the ribbon cable from developing but they all will eventually break down. These cables are being used incorrectly from what they are built to do. The only printer I recall using a flat ribbon cable, such as these, properly was the Makerbot 5th Gen. We all know that thing is a POS though...

-NS

z-renegade

Well, I was prepared to describe the fix with some pics and text but then NightShift took over and the same time my fix needed repair again.  :)

Before I tried to repair the broken cable just by cutting it a bit and give it a new connector. Not a good idea, NightShift is right: Better replace the cable.

There are is another thread about the ribbon cable V1 and how to easily build your own, but you have to be aware that there are differences between V4 and earlier M200 versions and if you make a mistake (misplace the connectors) you damage your printer.