filament not loading

Hi When i try to load the filament it seems like the little wheel or cog that catches the filament is jamming or not able to catch the filament to pull it trough the hot end. this has occurred with ABS GLASS & HIPS filament, it is a V2 hot end. I have updated the firmware and software. what can i do about this.

Kevin

You could check the gear if it's full of filament. To do this you would have to unmount the extruder motor (there is a support document about it somewhere).

If the gear is not clean it looses grip, just clean it with a metallic brush.

There also could be a peice of filament that broke off in the barrel below the gear causing the filament to stop mid way down, jamming up the feed. The same thing applies as to what Z-Renegade said about removing the motor however you would also have to remove the hot end as well.

If you can't get anything to load there may be a clog in the hole below the feeder wheel. 

I usually take the feeder motor off and use a small drill bit to drill into the clog and pull out or can take hot end off ands a small hard wire and push up through to unclog, if that is the problem.

Thanks so much guys, i shall have a wee look and see what i can do.

WTF? Half an hour after my post I experienced that problem myself.

Took a pic of it.

well i cleaned out a little bit of filament was stuck in there alright, just about to try a test print, so fingers crossed.

WTF? Half an hour after my post I experienced that problem myself.

Took a pic of it.

You could be a victim of "regrind", all plastic suppliers love to toss in old plastic from test shots that have been "reground" to recover lost material costs, this can cause the plastic to be inconsistent in melt temp and other properties that can allow it to jam in the all metal barrels and be brittle and snap or grind out in the feeder gear, even if you have the newer V2 with a nylon insert.

It is a constant problem because for Zortrax to demand "no regrind" would increase the cost of the plastic, usually an agreement of a certain percentage of regrind is allowed, but it is not always uniform in distribution through out the plastic.

The company I work for demands "Zero regrind" in all our parts from suppliers, these are the parts in your hard drive.

You could be a victim of "regrind", all plastic suppliers love to toss in old plastic from test shots that have been "reground" to recover lost material costs, this can cause the plastic to be inconsistent in melt temp and other properties that can allow it to jam in the all metal barrels and be brittle and snap or grind out in the feeder gear, even if you have the newer V2 with a nylon insert.

Yes, probably. First of all I think I am a victim of myself, using cheaper filaments for design testing and not doing enough maintenance accordingly.  :ph34r:

The company I work for demands "Zero regrind" in all our parts from suppliers, these are the parts in your hard drive.

Those parts are not in my hard disks, stopped using that brand almost 3 decades ago. 65.gif