firmware 0.0.8 - PID loop bug? [solved]

Could there be some bugs regarding temperatures?

I noticed huge temperature spikes since updating to 0.0.8.

PID loop seems to be problematic with periods without heating and periods with +20C overshooting.

I used same sliced file (1.1.2), on 0.0.5 temperature was a constant 275C during the whole print while on 0.0.8 it fluctuated a lot between 257C and 298C.

Switched back to 0.0.5 to confirm above and to print safely.

Edit: [solved] by updating again to 0.0.8

Could there be some bugs regarding temperatures?

I noticed huge temperature spikes since updating to 0.0.8.

PID loop seems to be problematic with periods without heating and periods with +20C overshooting.

I used same sliced file (1.1.2), on 0.0.5 temperature was a constant 275C during the whole print while on 0.0.8 it fluctuated a lot between 257C and 298C.

Switched back to 0.0.5 to confirm above and to print safely.

Can you please write to our customer support about this case and describe the issue carefully, along with some pictures of printed models?

It looks like a problem with your printer as we checked this issue already on few machines and it did not occur on any of them.

@caesar

How to display tmperature at print time, is exist option in Z-Suite/firmware for it?

@caesar

How to display tmperature at print time, is exist option in Z-Suite/firmware for it?

There is a test point on the motherboard near the ribbon connector labeled "TEMP". At this point the buffered and compensated thermocouple voltage appears where you can measure temperature. Multiply the voltage by 200 and you have degrees C.

ceasar I think you have installed the non-official addon :)

M.A.M. Z-Fanclub almost complete in action, only the warning point issuer is missing.

But noone used the (bad) word Z-Temp before (oops).

Getting trouble and using add-ons (wichever one) means undoing the add-on and retest to get reasonable tests.

Any pro knows that, guess that Ceasar is one too…

Actually, I can state with certainty that Caesar is not a Z-Temp user.

Hey Cat why do you like that someone uses no Z-Temp? :slight_smile:

He just likes anything I post :)

good boy! :slight_smile:

Talking to other user I realized that it was mostly my printer that had this horrific problem.

Today updated again to 0.0.8 and what do you think? Problem is solved.

I used same 2GB SD card as before.

Printing temperature is again constant. I can't explain it but everything is ok again.

Hey Cat why do you like that someone uses no Z-Temp? :-)

I liked that the affirmation is true.

He just likes anything I post :)

This, on the other hand, isn't :)

Hi,

If you could please explain how to measure the voltage at the mainboard?

I think my Zotrax's extruder is heating more than it should, hence I would like to measure the temperature it is heating upto while printing?

Thanks in advance

First, make sure that the thermocouple and heater element are seated perfectly (check grub screws).

To check temperature, the best unobtrusive method is to use the thermocouple from a multimeter and use kapton tape to fix it temporarily on the heaterblock.

Second method (poking on the flatcable connector) is to measure output from the thermocouple conditioner that translates to 5mV per centigrade, ie. a 200mV readout means that it senses 40C.

I can't remember the pin number by heart and can't promise to remember to take the extruder apart to check.

Hi,

If you could please explain how to measure the voltage at the mainboard?

I think my Zotrax's extruder is heating more than it should, hence I would like to measure the temperature it is heating upto while printing?

Thanks in advance

There is a labeled probe point on the motherboard for the thermocouple conditioner output that Caesar mentioned. This way you don't have to go poking around the ribbon cable.

Temp probe point.jpg

Hi Caesar and Julia,

Thank you so much for your very quick response, I am really glad.

If you could please don't mind me asking not so smart question, how to use labeled probe point on the motherboard for the thermocouple conditioner ( I can see it on my main board near to the flathead extruder cable) to measure voltage by using a multimeter ? I have the multimeter but I don't know where to connect two probes from the multimeter to measure voltage?

Thanks a lot again!