from 3d print to casting

hello there,

I started an album on my facebook page about molding and casting initial test of the 3d prints that I have previously posted on the forum.

Lots new to learn, lots of frustration building up to resolve common problems like air bubbles, filling undercuts, etc.

but still fun to learn new things :) Hopefully it will get better an better. The ultimate goal is to produce a limited series of casts available for purchase.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153048561950101.1073741840.572780100&type=1&l=916eb173f1

cheers,

Marco

Great Job!

What powder did you use?

The bronze powder from smooth on?

I love Smooth On products!!!

:D

A slower curing resin and pressure casting will help with bubbles..

thanks guys. The bronze powder is from Brick in the Yard. And silicon and resing from Smooth on. You re right Kyle, the one i got 325 sets way too fast :/

thanks guys. The bronze powder is from Brick in the Yard. And silicon and resing from Smooth on. You re right Kyle, the one i got 325 sets way too fast :/

I have used the 385 and it gives you time to pressure cast.. Looking at it, you should use the 326 at minimum.. This is what we use for pressure casting.. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-gallon-pressure-paint-tank-66839.html

yeah when I went to buy the resin there was available only the 325 and I knew that it has a fast pot and cure time. Definitely going for 326 next time.

Thanks for the link. Funny thing just yesteday i saw the same paint tank on another website for 100$ more  :)

I guess apart from the tank I would be needing a air compressor ?

by the way I think I passed by your area 3 weekend ago as I drove up to Loveland  :)

You will need to do some work to the tank.. Seal one of the ports.. You could just get a small compressor. 15-20 PSI should be plenty.. Don't want to make a bomb out of it.. I think it is rated at 60 max. If you can degas the resin after mixing it helps.. I use a Gast vacuum pump for degassing the silicone as well.