Help identifying printing imperfection issue

I was hoping one of you more experienced 3D printers out there could guide me on how to remedy this deformation.  Background:  Thickness=5mm size=135mmX85mm.  Speed=normal, layer=.29, angle=10 w/support, lite turned on, & infill=solid. Temp=no adjustment.

I've gotten this several times.

Thanks!

Is this happening only in this resolution (0.29) or at specific places on the platform?

I haven't tried at another resolution yet.  Was going to do that next.  As for the localization of the issue, I hadn't considered that.  I performed auto calibration to see if it that was the prob after which it occurred on the very next print.

Hi,

It seems like extruder stopped working sometimes. It may be the ribbon cable defective or mis-plugged. Some people mentioned problems with current z-suite too on solid surface. if you can post your z-code, I have some z-abs lying arround - not red -, so I can have a try if you want to know if it software related or an hardware issue (if you used z-abs).

Laurent

I have printed other things, (less surface area items) without issue and have tried other colors of z-abs and obtained same result.  I have attached the z-code, (It's a letter and business card holder for my wife's embroidery business).  I neglected to mention that I was doing a multi-color print.  Do you think that may have some sort of impact?

Printing in progress, I’ll stop after that flat surface. I am not familiar with multicolor print, so I can’t tell.

Laurent

I appreciate your help.  I reviewed the code and haven't found anything yet.

Hi,

Printer's just stopped at the pause you set after the flat plane. I am sorry but result is realy good to be honest, better than what I was expecting. Only minor defects can be observed on the back left; there is a small part not filled, a small rectangle, and infill is not as good around it.

Other thing, I was nearly sure that such a part with solid infill and z-abs would wrap, but it did not, quite a good surprise.

Just a thing to pointed out / check: My extruder became very hot during the print, around 60°C. I think with some degrees more, it would have been a problem. it was around 25°C in the room during the printI.

My setup: M200 V4, Build plate V2, hot end V2, side covers V1.

Laurent

Excellent information and thanks again for testing this for me.  I have an identical setup so it's got to be something localized.  Will experiment with another roll of z-abs and .19.  Thanks again!

Check to see that there is no unusual drag on the filament. Is it a full spool? Do the gaps occur only when the printhead is moving away from the spool, when it has to pull harder? Try "babying" the spool rotation so that there's no drag at all and see if the gaps still occur.

I kinda want to re-purpose an old boden style external stepper motor we have in house (from back in the days of UP! plus original  machine) on the Zortrax, I hate the whole mounting a spool above the printer to reduce drag thing. For one thing I cant even mount a spool above my machine so I need something else to achieve the same effect. 

-Night Shift

Try fan off for 0.29, and maybe medium or light fill.

You can also add more surface layers, I use 4 for 0.29.

I've just said it recently in another post, but a fresh nozzle tip is always a good place to start if a new issue just presents itself.

I kinda want to re-purpose an old boden style external stepper motor we have in house (from back in the days of UP! plus original  machine) on the Zortrax, I hate the whole mounting a spool above the printer to reduce drag thing. For one thing I cant even mount a spool above my machine so I need something else to achieve the same effect. 

-Night Shift

If using a long filament tube, it can be cut down to a small tube, which will also reduce drag. I found the bearing hub works excellent but I know certain filaments require it mounted above the machine like ...(cough) bronzefill (cough).

:lol:  :P

I am using a fresh nozzle and have never considered the "drag" or filament tube possibilities.  The filament roll was a new one.  Seemed to be wound well but they all have pinch points that we never see.  The filament tube I'm using is the one that came with the printer.  I'm going download and print the "bearing hub" right now.  Thanks for the input people.  Will report back results.

I am using a fresh nozzle and have never considered the "drag" or filament tube possibilities.  The filament roll was a new one.  Seemed to be wound well but they all have pinch points that we never see.  The filament tube I'm using is the one that came with the printer.  I'm going download and print the "bearing hub" right now.  Thanks for the input people.  Will report back results.

This happens to my prints if I try and use the high speed setting.

Tried "high speed" when I first got printer.  Only on SELECT things would I do it now.  Seems best to stay with normal.

I've also experienced the same issue with 0.19, 0.29, 0.39 resolutions and light infill. It only seems to happen with my android green filament though. From my observations it almost looks like the filament is shrinking more than usual before it can be adhered to the layer below but it's hard to tell. It's also interesting how its relatively uniform. I'm hoping a heated enclosure might help but other than that I'm pretty confused as well.