Hot end fan failure - common occurrence?

It looks like the upper fan on my extruder has failed, maybe the lower fan too.  I've ordered replacement fans, the same brand Kyle recommended elsewhere, but wondered if many other people have seen the same failure.

Mike

Yes, both of mine have failed. But my printer is printing all the time, and only now failed after 9 months.

Same here both died after less than two months, they can even die in a week. Because of the type of component they are not quite reliable thats why zortrax can't offer a guarantee on them. Better replace them for aftermarket such as scythe or noctua.

It's possible that Zortrax's method of driving the fans causes extra stress. The fan is 12V, but the Zortrax uses a 24V supply, for many good reasons. They drive the fan with 24V at 50% (max) duty cycle to get an average of 12V, but I know that some fans (Sunon Maglev) will not even operate under these conditions.

My extruder fan failed once, but this may have been due to my operating the printer with a top cover, resulting in high temperature (60C) around the fan. My print fan has never failed.

Replacements from Delta are only $US5 so I'm not too put out by the failure.  My printer is about 4 months old and has printed several spools worth of parts so it gets a decent, but not excessive, workout.

Is Delta a decent brand for replacements or is there something better to buy?

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=2162716&storeId=10001&krypto=vFgRhKXJZKuM8sLfuPRmxv3tw%2BNp1UpMVks4N7ZnwCVy5GiAg%2BK2ug%3D%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Replacements from Delta are only $US5 so I'm not too put out by the failure.  My printer is about 4 months old and has printed several spools worth of parts so it gets a decent, but not excessive, workout.

Is Delta a decent brand for replacements or is there something better to buy?

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=2162716&storeId=10001&krypto=vFgRhKXJZKuM8sLfuPRmxv3tw%2BNp1UpMVks4N7ZnwCVy5GiAg%2BK2ug%3D%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Hey Michael.. The Delta fan that I originally found came off the back of my daughters car stereo.. Factory 2003 GM radio.. That thing had been through many hot and cold periods in the last 11 years and still works like I champ.. That's what sold me on it.. It's one of the fans on there now.. :D

My upper fan lasted 4 days before it failed. Turned out to be fractured at the back which allowed the contents to flex and strike the inside during fast moves. With past printers I've always kept a spare on hand because they are cheap, easy to replace and are known to fail on 3D printers in general.

Really ? Wish I had known about the maglev yesterday, just ordered 2.

Perhaps running 24v fans at 100% would be better?

A EE friend tells me that running the fan the way that Zortrax does is not good for the fan and that failures would not be unexpected.  I wonder why they went that way - to reduce part count and circuit complexity?

Kyle - that sounds like a good endorsement for the Delta fans.  Hopefully they'll be able to take the 24VDC better.

Wilson - Maybe 24 VDC fans in the required form factor are not common or are more expensive than 12 VDC fans..  

They (wisely) chose 24V for the main power supply because that reduces wire and connector sizes for the extruder and bed heaters. Deriving a 12V supply from 24V just for the fans would have required more parts, and generated either more heat or more EMI depending on whether they used a linear or switching regulator. 24V fans are a lot less common than 12V fans. PWM'ing the 24V at 50% is an elegant solution, but it would take a really detailed analysis to know if it's bad for the fan or not, and as we know, different fans respond differently depending on their internal design.

So maybe the Delta fans (or a different brand) will fare better than the fans originally installed.  My top fan is Szfuxideshuo brand and Google doesn't seem to know much about it.  Anybody else know what brand is in theirs?

My upper fan is jianshangfeng and still works well. B)

p3010401.jpg

Does anyone have a how to for adding the second fan, as well as replacing the first?

So maybe the Delta fans (or a different brand) will fare better than the fans originally installed.  My top fan is Szfuxideshuo brand and Google doesn't seem to know much about it.  Anybody else know what brand is in theirs?

The main difference between the factory VS Delta is the bearing. Original is just a bushing. The bushing wears out and grease gets gummy. It will still run if you drive it with enough voltage, but ball bearing fans are better..

The main difference between the factory VS Delta is the bearing. Original is just a bushing. The bushing wears out and grease gets gummy. It will still run if you drive it with enough voltage, but ball bearing fans are better..

So that's why some of the original fans are failing.  That sounds encouraging.

Sam - I couldn't find any info on your fan, but maybe that is also a ball bearing fan.

Mike

I’ve had many of the bushing fans fail on video cards.

If so much fans run down because of 24V "PWM'ing", perhaps Zortrax should choose another fan that support it.

I hope this point will be fixed in soon new hardware version, 

Both fans have failed on my printer. :huh:

ahntlia: Are you happy with Noctuas?

I don't know about other fans or suppliers but the Delta fans from Jameco in the US have a different connector than the original Zortrax fans so I needed to splice in the original Zortrax fan connector.

My lower fan was partially melted in the hub and pretty much stuck.  Anybody found a good way to verify that the lower fan is actually rotating and pushing air in the right direction.  Smoke from an extinguished match might work but there should be a better way.

Mike

I don't know about other fans or suppliers but the Delta fans from Jameco in the US have a different connector than the original Zortrax fans so I needed to splice in the original Zortrax fan connector.

My lower fan was partially melted in the hub and pretty much stuck.  Anybody found a good way to verify that the lower fan is actually rotating and pushing air in the right direction.  Smoke from an extinguished match might work but there should be a better way.

Mike

To check if the bottom fan is rotating just poke in a piece of filament. You will hear the blades hit it if it is spinning.