Hotend jams after a while during printing

One thing you might want to try …

If you have had a slipping problem with the extruder gear, it will have ended up filling the gear with ground up ABS … So then you probably removed or loosened the stepper to clean the gear out ?

Here’s what I discovered …

Despite the screws that secure the strepper having countersunk holes to go into, they don’t actually centre correctly. If you simply screw them back in tight you will find that the gear doesn’t squash the filament well against the small bearing.

The cure is to tighten the stepper back up whilst pushing the assembly to the right - ensuring that it minimises the gap for the filament resulting in a MASSIVE reduction in extruding problems.

Mine was doing exactly the same as yours. Incidentally I ended up actually replacing the countersunk screws with proper hex cap stainless screws as the originals were about as hard as cheese lol. I did send Zortrax a complete report so they are already aware of the affect that this misalignment causes producing the result like you have. It’s so simple to resolve once you know what it is though. Also make sure that the larger cavity behind the main 0.4mm bore is also cleaned right out in the nozzle - it’s easy to miss that the cavity is even there.

Cheers,

Jay

Looks to me that your tip is partially plugged I had the same issue while back I took the tip off soaked it in acetone overnight and put it back problem cleared up

One thing you might want to try .....

If you have had a slipping problem with the extruder gear, it will have ended up filling the gear with ground up ABS … So then you probably removed or loosened the stepper to clean the gear out ?

Here’s what I discovered …

Despite the screws that secure the strepper having countersunk holes to go into, they don’t actually centre correctly. If you simply screw them back in tight you will find that the gear doesn’t squash the filament well against the small bearing.

The cure is to tighten the stepper back up whilst pushing the assembly to the right - ensuring that it minimises the gap for the filament resulting in a MASSIVE reduction in extruding problems.

Mine was doing exactly the same as yours. Incidentally I ended up actually replacing the countersunk screws with proper hex cap stainless screws as the originals were about as hard as cheese lol. I did send Zortrax a complete report so they are already aware of the affect that this misalignment causes producing the result like you have. It’s so simple to resolve once you know what it is though. Also make sure that the larger cavity behind the main 0.4mm bore is also cleaned right out in the nozzle - it’s easy to miss that the cavity is even there.

Cheers,

Jay

I had to do the exact same thing recently Jaycee.

One thing you might want to try .....

If you have had a slipping problem with the extruder gear, it will have ended up filling the gear with ground up ABS … So then you probably removed or loosened the stepper to clean the gear out ?

Here’s what I discovered …

Despite the screws that secure the strepper having countersunk holes to go into, they don’t actually centre correctly. If you simply screw them back in tight you will find that the gear doesn’t squash the filament well against the small bearing.

The cure is to tighten the stepper back up whilst pushing the assembly to the right - ensuring that it minimises the gap for the filament resulting in a MASSIVE reduction in extruding problems.

Mine was doing exactly the same as yours. Incidentally I ended up actually replacing the countersunk screws with proper hex cap stainless screws as the originals were about as hard as cheese lol. I did send Zortrax a complete report so they are already aware of the affect that this misalignment causes producing the result like you have. It’s so simple to resolve once you know what it is though. Also make sure that the larger cavity behind the main 0.4mm bore is also cleaned right out in the nozzle - it’s easy to miss that the cavity is even there.

Cheers,

Jay

Thank you Jay, this seemed to be the problem. I am currently printing again and the raft looks ok now. 

Hope that this works!

I had a problem like this and couldn't understand why it happened. Then I was able to print some bearings for the filament spools by loosening the filament on the spools at it printed and it fixed the problem. The filament was not unspooling properly and would lay little to no layers in some places.

Not sure this is your problem but it was mine. Good luck