I am seriously leaning towards the Zortrax M200

I am seriously leaning towards the Zortrax M200. The MakerGear M2 looks great also, but the fact that the Zortrax M200 focuses more on ABS filament and that the print fail rate is less, makes me want to buy the Zortrax. Would anyone give their opion why I should buy the Zortrax and not the MakerGear M2?

What is the fail rate on the M2?

Zortrax is my first (and only printer) and I've only had it a couple months. With that said, I did weeks worth of research weighing the pros and cons, and I will say that I am absolutely sure that I made the right decision.

What it comes down to is what do you want out of a printer? Do you want something that you can tinker with? Try all the coolest and newest filaments? Mess with the settings to get the exact print that you want? Yes to those, and you probably don't want a Zortrax.

On the other hand, do you want to be printing amazingly high quality prints out of the box? Do you want the confidence that you can click print and walk away knowing it'll do what you want it to do? Want the assurance that if something is wrong in the software they'll work on a fix instead of waiting for the community to get around to it? Yes to these and you want a Zortrax.

Basically it's as simple as this: do you want printing itself as a hobby or is the printer just a means to get the end part? 

This is my first printer as well. I have a CNC mill and router and access to a CNC laser. I'm very familiar with CNC. I've had the printer a little over a year now. It has been through miles of filament. I think I have had maybe 10 failed prints. A few of those were my fault. Bad design. It you like a plug and play printer with filament available, this is for you. More filaments on the way.. I do mostly mechanical prototypes. I just had a buddy not 30 minutes ago ask me where he can get a good 3D printer. He will be stopping by tomorrow. lol  Some people want more control to tinker, I want quality parts. Just look in print room.

I agree with LabRat and Kyle.  This is my first and only 3D printer but after almost 13 months it has been very reliable and the software keeps getting better with even more options.  The filament is reasonably priced too and they keep releasing new types.  

While the MakerGear has a decent build area, it's design would be difficult to enclose so large prints would be more susceptible to splitting and warping.  With the M200 you can easily make or buy walls to enclose it which improves the quality of larger prints.

http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1364-comparison-of-5-different-3d-printers/

Zortrax is my first (and only printer) and I've only had it a couple months. With that said, I did weeks worth of research weighing the pros and cons, and I will say that I am absolutely sure that I made the right decision.

What it comes down to is what do you want out of a printer? Do you want something that you can tinker with? Try all the coolest and newest filaments? Mess with the settings to get the exact print that you want? Yes to those, and you probably don't want a Zortrax.

On the other hand, do you want to be printing amazingly high quality prints out of the box? Do you want the confidence that you can click print and walk away knowing it'll do what you want it to do? Want the assurance that if something is wrong in the software they'll work on a fix instead of waiting for the community to get around to it? Yes to these and you want a Zortrax.

Basically it's as simple as this: do you want printing itself as a hobby or is the printer just a means to get the end part? 

I pretty much agree with the way you developed the theme. Very well put.

But I only disagree with the last sentence, opposing a hobby machine to a tool machine.

These categories are not mutually exclusionary but complementary.

I need both worlds for my work not for my hobby.

I need a reliable printer as Zortrax certainly is, but I need also to experiment. 

My solution at this point was to add another printer to the arsenal, cheap, not as good as Zortrax but no shame, sometimes offering the same quality.

The beloved Zortrax plus this other.

May perhaps be other solutions, I know I'm not alone with this need of flexibility not loosing reliability.

But if I have to do a Sophia's choice would be the Z.

The comments are very much appreciated. I do want a printer that can print with multiple materials. However I want to develop my product, not tinker with a machine. I want to be able to make snap fasteners and dorable parts, also digital sculptures. here is a link to my art work.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dominick-Scalise-Artist/161700757281487?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_albums

I have no experience with a 3d printer but consider myself capable to learn.

It would be great to be able to print with any kind of filament, but the filament they have right now works great for producing prototypes and finished products. Better knowing you have a printer that generates high quality prints.

venosa, I do agree with your statement "  I need a reliable printer as Zortrax certainly is, but I need also to experiment."  For me printing in multiple materials is important like ninjaflexI want the ability to create mechanical devices so PLA to me is not going to be my choice filimentHowever it would be nice to print with nylon or even a carbon fiber filament to create prosthetics.

It would be great to be able to print with any kind of filament, but the filament they have right now works great for producing prototypes and finished products. Better knowing you have a printer that generates high quality prints.

Kyle, definitely. That's why I'm leaning towards the Zortrax.

Andre, I read that review several times at Amazon when I first started to research the Zortrax. Major influence.

Yes, I oversimplified, but it was to exaggerate the point.  ;)

I completely agree that other materials and experimentation would be wonderful, which is why I was torn between Z and Ultimaker 2. What it came down to for me was the decision that reliability and quality came first and experimentation came second. I decided that I could get the Z to have a serious tool and then always just get a cheap second printer to play/experiment with when money allowed. 

LabRat, That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather have a printer for now that will reliabily print my parts. However I do need to print more than just ABS, but ABS will do most of what I want from a material for now. Everyones comments are appreciated, thank you.   

Well my buddy just ordered one from Octave.. He came over to take a close look at mine today. Probably be seeing him on here soon.

That reminds me, if you are involved with a university (student/staff) make sure to call 3dproshare before you make your decision. I really wish that I had... 

(I am in no way affiliated with 3dproshare, I'm just trying to offer relevant advice.) 

Well my buddy just ordered one from Octave.. He came over to take a close look at mine today. Probably be seeing him on here soon.

So will you claim your reward for the referral?  ;) 

So will you claim your reward for the referral?   ;)

If they have one I will... I should have 2 now. Both from Octave.

How about printing larger prints with the Zortrax. Do the parts warp or what about warping in general. Also, how about the availability and cost of the filliment. I see that the standard wire is affordable but the rest looks expensive. I also heard that u can only use their material.

How about printing larger prints with the Zortrax. Do the parts warp or what about warping in general. Also, how about the availability and cost of the filliment. I see that the standard wire is affordable but the rest looks expensive. I also heard that u can only use their material.

Warping is always an issue with ABS and with many other materials too. The Zortrax is a well-built, reliable, and precise printer, and the perfboard/raft combination provide excellent adhesion, but it is not magical in preventing warpage per se, as this is a function of the material. There are measures you can take to minimize it, and there are extensive threads on this topic elsewhere on this forum - you can use the search function to find them.

Zortrax filaments are reasonably priced and available both from resellers and direct from Zortrax China. The specialty filaments are more expensive than the basic ABS, yes. Use of non-Zortrax filament voids your warranty.