Nozzle won't remove completely

Hi,

We've had the M200 here at work for about 3 weeks now, and earlier this week the extruded plastic started to get inconsistent.  I've looked up the support issues on it, and saw the suggested fixes - try replacing the cable, try cleaning the nozzle, try replacing the nozzle.

Because it seems easiest with the parts-on-hand I've been trying to clean the nozzle.  I first had to find the appropriate socket (the printer shipped with a 7mm, not 6mm wrench) and then moved onto heating the nozzle.  I've unscrewed the nozzle but the last threads don't seem to let go.  It appears that it's 90%+ unscrewed, but just spins in place at that point.  I'm afraid to "pull down" as I unscrew as I don't want to damage anything.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,

Nate

Grab with pliers and carefully pull straight down while rotating the nozzle back and forth. The feed tube goes down into the nozzle and it has very tight clearance; be careful and it’ll work out just fine. :slight_smile:

If cleaning the nozzle doesn’t work, report back here and we’ll do what we can to help.

Make sure you heat extruder while doing that. Cold abs will act as glue. I just use the tweezers to pull it off at that point.

Success!  I'll be leaving it soaking in acetone over the weekend.  If that doesn't work I'll try the other options.

One side note: I did the filament measure test (the length of the filament fed before 'clicking') and got ~4", which is between the two defined potential clog positions.  If cleaning the nozzle doesn't work is there something else I should try before ordering a new ribbon cable?

Thanks,

Nate

With the nozzle off try to push filament backwards up the feed tube; if it doesn't make it to the feed gear then you have a clog in the feed tube. This can be drilled out pretty easily with a 2mm drill bit; heat the extruder then 'twizzle' the drill by hand to try to snag the clogged plastic. Be careful in avoiding the sides; large scratches can increase friction on the plastic and increase the chances of another feed tube clog. 

With the nozzle off try to push filament backwards up the feed tube; if it doesn't make it to the feed gear then you have a clog in the feed tube. This can be drilled out pretty easily with a 2mm drill bit; heat the extruder then 'twizzle' the drill by hand to try to snag the clogged plastic. Be careful in avoiding the sides; large scratches can increase friction on the plastic and increase the chances of another feed tube clog. 

Cleaning the nozzle didn't seem to fix it.  At first it fed filament fine and appeared to be running smoothly, so I tried starting a print.  After printing ~6" of a base layer line it started clicking again and struggling to spit out enough filament.

I don't have a drill bit handy here at work, and couldn't find anything the right size to push the filament back through to check the feed tube.  Should the "push" be done hot or cold?

Thanks,

Nate

Hot.

Hot.

Thanks-

Also, what are the chances this is a ribbon cable issue?  Does this sound like symptoms of that, or is it definitely a clog?  If it might be a ribbon cable issue, where might I order one?

I'll do the push test tomorrow after I can grab some stuff from home - I only really have my lunch break to do much troubleshooting.

-Nate

If it was a cable issue, you would most likely have problems in the same x-y position all the way through the print. (raft included) A drill bit is the easiest way I have found. Twist it into molten plastic (or clog) from the bottom and pull it out. You have to do this a few times to clear it. Be careful not to burn yourself on the heater block or the drill bit. The bit heats up pretty quick if left in the feed tube too long.. Trust me!!! :blink:

I'm a newbie, (had my M200 for less than a week) and screwed this up.  Tried it cold and broke nozzle off in hot end.  Already ordered spare hot ends and nozzles.  Live and learn. 

I'm a newbie, (had my M200 for less than a week) and screwed this up.  Tried it cold and broke nozzle off in hot end.  Already ordered spare hot ends and nozzles.  Live and learn.

You’re not completely out of luck with this one; take the whole hotend off then remove the feed tube from the block. Take that to the hardware store and find an easy out that fits, heat with torch, then give the easy out a shot. Or you could just send it to me. :wink:

Still no luck :(  I did the 2mm drill bit thing, and it seemed like a got a tiny couple scraps of filament out that was a different color than what I had loaded previously.  When I put the nozzle back on it was still ticking.

I tried taking the nozzle off again, and 'loading filament', to see if it ticked then - which it didn't.  The filament comes out sort of bubbly when I feed it without the nozzle  - is that normal?

I also tried loading grey which worked previously because the problem only started when I was using orange filament.  Might as well eliminate a variable.  It came out bubbly too.

Here's a pic http://imgur.com/24dt9O6

Unfortunately, when I put my nozzle back on, a couple threads worth broke off inside.  I guess I'll be taking the hot-end off next.

Luckily I ordered some nozzles and they arrived today.  I'll update after my next attempt.

How hard are you cranking down on the nozzle? It should just be snug. 

What exactly did you do when you cleaned the nozzle? Did you just remount after the acetone soak, or did you clean out the orifice and melt chamber?

How hard are you cranking down on the nozzle? It should just be snug. 

What exactly did you do when you cleaned the nozzle? Did you just remount after the acetone soak, or did you clean out the orifice and melt chamber?

I didn't crank the nozzle exceptionally hard at all, i did probably slightly overtorque it once when I was figuring out which direction to turn it though.

I cleaned out the nozzle with the pin provided, I didn't do any digging into the inside chamber.

If the melt chamber is gummed up then you can have a jamb even if the orifice is clean. After letting the nozzle soak, use a chunk of brass bristles off of a cheap brush to stick down into the nozzle, then give it a good couple spins in both directions.

As for the bubbled filament - yes, that looks fine and indicates that the issue is most likely with the nozzle. 

If the melt chamber is gummed up then you can have a jamb even if the orifice is clean. After letting the nozzle soak, use a chunk of brass bristles off of a cheap brush to stick down into the nozzle, then give it a good couple spins in both directions.

As for the bubbled filament - yes, that looks fine and indicates that the issue is most likely with the nozzle. 

Awesome, great to hear it's probably just the nozzle.  I'll  get the bits out of the heater block and throw on one of my new nozzles and see how things go today.

Awesome, great to hear it's probably just the nozzle.  I'll  get the bits out of the heater block and throw on one of my new nozzles and see how things go today.

The threads in the heater block below where the nozzle broke off are pretty mushed, it's going to take more than my lunch break to solve today.  I may just order a new heater block to start fresh :(

The threads in the heater block below where the nozzle broke off are pretty mushed, it's going to take more than my lunch break to solve today. I may just order a new heater block to start fresh :(

Sounds like either the nozzle was mis threaded or tightened too much. One thing I’d try before giving up on the block is to make sure the threads are actually damaged and its not just plastic gumming things up.

Soak heater block in Acetone.. You can remove feed tube and clean threads in block using a 6mm tap..