PCB Workstation with Articulated Arms

Hi giufini,

On the attached pic I pressed the base against a metal plate (that probably is not really plain), just compare if you got it more flat.  :)

I think Z-ABS is not worse than any other Z-Filament related to warping, it's all about the objects environmental conditions from before printing until it has cooled down completely.

Wow, great result! I looks very straight.

Which printing parameters did you use, and in particular what infill you selected?

I just followed the recommendations of the designer, .19 layer, medium infill, no support, fan auto.  ;)

Did print the first parts (ABS again). The anchor blocks don't print perfect just with bridging, better add some support.

Did print the first parts (ABS again). The anchor blocks don't print perfect just with bridging, better add some support.

Yes, I know. The anchor blocks have overhanging parts that require support.

Thanks again for your fantastic work giufini, this is the best thing I played with since the times of LEGO!

I added custom supports to the pcb holder so that it can be printed togheter with all other parts and completely disabling supports in Z-Suite. Those custom supports are super easy to be removed and will work with any resolution up to 0.2mm. I suppose that they can work with any other 3d printer too.

I hope you won't mind If I'll post the file. By another MOI fan :-)

MOI rules!

Thanks again for your fantastic work giufini, this is the best thing I played with since the times of LEGO!

I added custom supports to the pcb holder so that it can be printed togheter with all other parts and completely disabling supports in Z-Suite. Those custom supports are super easy to be removed and will work with any resolution up to 0.2mm. I suppose that they can work with any other 3d printer too.

Thank you spicchio72 for your contribution! You did a really good job!  :)

The PCB-Holder is slowly growing. I added the board holders with support from spicchio72 (thanks for that) and because I like that design so much and the thought of printing it in complete I added two other objects that I would normally not print but buy the all metal version.

I added printed screws and wing nuts that were build with the NUT JOB factory from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:193647

I think the screw is not able to hold much, but probably it's not needed and maybe I'll try to print it with Nylon next.

Thanks again for the great design giufini.

Hi giufini,

I'm still busy with your great PCB Holder...

Did not have the type of LED you used and didn't want to buy one because I have much power LEDs sourced from China for another project.

That's why a created another lamp shade for the PCB Holder. I mounted a 3W power LED that helps to not stress my old eyes, same for the shade because it holds the light down on the PCB.

I think it's quite generic because of the mounting posts, maybe it's useful for someone else.

I'm not satisfied with the model right now, tried some optimizations for printing without support but that does not work well.

Will do another version and upload later. 

Hi giufino,

while still fighting with the Lampshade (finally I will win!) I had another idea.

My works are mostly in the area of gross motor skills, that's why I am more expirienced with larger PCBs.

Actually they do not fit at the PCB Holder, that's why I thought about a way to deal with them.  :wacko:

I have created an extender out of your BS-Holder, actually this was like doing a surgery by cutting, glueing and stitching all together.

Maybe you could do it better (if you want!) and more easily with some variations (different extension lengths).

What I have done is that I cut off the edge holder part for becoming now a support for the PCB over it.

On the other side I flipped the holder part by 180 degrees to lock the PCB from the outside.

And finally I made the hole for the screw an adjustable area for the extension.

My first try was even too large, the bigger PCB can be easily mounted though because the PCB is supported by the extender anyway.

By mistake, I ordered several extra boxes of these (10 per box):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/grabber-clips/0775704/

I'll mail them out free to the first few responders who PM me.  US only, I'm afraid.

Mike

By mistake, I ordered several extra boxes of these (10 per box):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/grabber-clips/0775704/

I'll mail them out free to the first few responders who PM me.  US only, I'm afraid.

Mike

Hi MichaelHenry, are you aware that I have recently added support for this type of probes in my PCB Workstation?

Did a quick hack in OpenScad and made the Extender modification parametric. All tough I can use it, it's *not* foolproof.

I created extenders with 50,60,70,80 and 90 mm length. Length is the overall length of the extender, not the extending length.

Lower values don't work (40mm for ex.) and do not make sense also, larger values should but I didn't test.

The zproj holds the 5 variations, you can create your own sizes by just modifying the length in the OpenScad script and set the correct filespec of the original extender on your harddisk.

Update: I am not allowed to Upload .zproj and .scad (Zortrax professional WebAdmins might suspect them to contain dangerous viruses probably...).

I uploaded the .STL files and OpenScad script follows:

--- copy below ---

extension_size=70;
holder_filename = "/filespec of Original BS_Holder.stl";

difference() {
union() {
import(holder_filename);

// 65
translate([0,extension_size-25,0])
import(holder_filename);

translate([0,extension_size,0])
rotate([0,0,180])
import(holder_filename);
}

translate([-10,0,0])
cube([20,extension_size-25,20]);

// 77
translate([-10,extension_size-13,-1])
cube([20,65,20]);

translate([-10,-25,10])
cube([20,15,20]);

translate([-10,-30,-1])
cube([20,15,20]);

}

translate([-8,0,0])
difference() {
cube([16,extension_size-25,4.5]);
translate([5.5,0,0])
cube([5,extension_size-25,4.5]);

}

--- copy before ---

Hi giufino,

while still fighting with the Lampshade (finally I will win!) I had another idea.

My works are mostly in the area of gross motor skills, that's why I am more expirienced with larger PCBs.

Actually they do not fit at the PCB Holder, that's why I thought about a way to deal with them.  :wacko:

I have created an extender out of your BS-Holder, actually this was like doing a surgery by cutting, glueing and stitching all together.

Maybe you could do it better (if you want!) and more easily with some variations (different extension lengths).

What I have done is that I cut off the edge holder part for becoming now a support for the PCB over it.

On the other side I flipped the holder part by 180 degrees to lock the PCB from the outside.

And finally I made the hole for the screw an adjustable area for the extension.

My first try was even too large, the bigger PCB can be easily mounted though because the PCB is supported by the extender anyway.

Hi Z-Renegade, thank you for your contribution to this project, I appreciate it very much.  :)

I have considered your suggestions and I am working on some add-on to my PCB Workstation.
The first one consists of "Base Joints" that can be used to couple two or even more Bases.
The second one is an "External Extension" of the slot where you screw the PCB anchor block. This element can be attached to the Base using two "Base Joints".

Here you find the STL files of these two elements so you can try to use them.
Let me know what you think and if they work fine i will publish these add-ons on Thingiverse.  ;)

P.S.: The "External Extension" here provided is made to be connected to the "Base_19x19cm_16holes.stl". Other custom "External Extensions" will follow as soon as possible...

Extension_.png

Hi giufini,

different approach, great idea. I like this even more and will print it later (and also later I will post the lampshade object here).

I am almost done with collecting parts for using the PCB Holder (finally I will print the holders for the probes) one thing I thought about is left.

Some PCBs are not flat on the bottom side, I think of spacers to lift a PCB higher from the base. But that's something to deal with later.

Hi giufino,

printed your extension, great look, perfect fit and usability. I think I will use my extenders sometime when needed in addition.

They give also support from below to the PCB this could be useful when swapping components that are in sockets without removing the board from the holder.

Maybe it's better for some larger boards to have added support even without additional force.

I have tried to print my lampshade in different orientations, don't get it better right now.

But it works and my make of your PCB holder is ready for use now.

Thanks again for that great design, it will be used very often here and will finally be printed out several times.

Hi MichaelHenry, are you aware that I have recently added support for this type of probes in my PCB Workstation?

Yep, that's why I bought them  :)

Hi guys, I have recently added few new parts and accessories to my "PCB Workstation with Articulated Arms".

In particular I added new holders for special clip probes and a new piece (Holder_Magnifying_Glass.stl) to use the accessories of the old "third hand tool", including the useful magnifying glass.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:801279

Let me know if you have any idea to add more accessories...

Happy printing!

Another good extension, thanks.

Let me know if you have any idea to add more accessories...

I have.  :ph34r:

I was thinking about to add some sockets to the base, could screw them but having them inside the bottom connector of the arms would be nice too (and look better).

Another option would be to have an extension connected with some of the sockets on it.

The idea behind is: lazyness. Could have the circuit stay inside the PCB holder (will print more of them) and the probes (that are wired to the sockets) all connected.

Could be unplugged quick from the power supplies and the measurement tools and put aside.

When needed again I could just patch some cables into the sockets and have it ready for work.

Perhaps this is not useful for sensitive probes and measurement equipment, but for power rails for example.

Hi guys, have a look at the SparkFun.com site, they have just published an interview in which I present my project "PCB Workstation with Articulated Arms" and some other cool stuff...

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1872

Enjoy the reading and, as usual, happy printing!