Platform jams at top of tall print

This is the second or 3rd time that this has happened to me.  At the completion of a tall print, the platform apparently lowers to the point that the linear bearings jam against the stops as shown in the attached picture.  On this print ZSuite tells me that the object was 153.082 mm high, which is well short of the height in the claimed build volume spec of 180 mm.  The bearings are jammed tightly enough against the stops that a pair of pliers has to be used to reverse it.  The platform up/down commands can't budge it at all

I have a Ver 2 M200, received in May 2014.  Can someone from Zortrax tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?  It looks to me like ZSuite is trying to move the platform lower than it can go.

IMG_1799.JPG

A video at the end of the print would be useful. 

Marcin,

I don't have any video of the print; it took over 40 hours and the end-of-print timer stopped updating an hour or so before the end so I am not going to repeat the print.  I'm guessing that Z-Suite tries to lower the print too much below the extruder which causes the jam.

Someone from Zortrax is welcome to try it out, though.  The object is the Marble Machine from this Thing:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1340784

though any print that is nearly at the M200's Z-limit should have the same problem if my experience is typical.  

Please let me know if Zortrax intends to follow up on this or if I should file a Bug Tracker report.

Mike

Marcin,

I don't have any video of the print; it took over 40 hours and the end-of-print timer stopped updating an hour or so before the end so I am not going to repeat the print.  I'm guessing that Z-Suite tries to lower the print too much below the extruder which causes the jam.

Someone from Zortrax is welcome to try it out, though.  The object is the Marble Machine from this Thing:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1340784

though any print that is nearly at the M200's Z-limit should have the same problem if my experience is typical.  

Please let me know if Zortrax intends to follow up on this or if I should file a Bug Tracker report.

Mike

It's not Z-Suite, I guess. How about autocalibration? Could it be performed without any problems?

Well it does seem like the printer is following an order to drop the build plate "X" distance after finishing and said distance is exceeding the height limit of the printer. Could a test with a thin tall cylinder at about 170mm or so be set up and let the printer try and drop the build plate after? This could be a glitch with the firmware/software. I am no software engineer but I could see the overall height limit being overridden simply because of a mistake.

-NS

It's not Z-Suite, I guess. How about autocalibration? Could it be performed without any problems?

No problems at all with autocalibration.  That has always worked very well for me.

Well it does seem like the printer is following an order to drop the build plate "X" distance after finishing and said distance is exceeding the height limit of the printer. Could a test with a thin tall cylinder at about 170mm or so be set up and let the printer try and drop the build plate after? This could be a glitch with the firmware/software. I am no software engineer but I could see the overall height limit being overridden simply because of a mistake.

-NS

That's my thought.  I can see where it would be a good idea to drop the plate a bit after a print is done so that the head clears the printed object as it homes in X and Y.  I haven't looked at it in depth, but wonder if the software is dropping the plate by a fixed distance without regard to it's height at the end of a print.  If that was the case there would be no problem unless the print was nearly at the maximum Z limit.  But then, I'd think that lots of users would have seen this problem.  Maybe I have some non-standard components in my printer or it was built a little off-spec.

If anyone else prints that marble machine, I'd appreciate hearing if they have the same problem.  The print came out fine and the machine works really well.  The only problem was the platform jamming at the bottom of the printer.