Printer's Origin is Incorrect

I bought the m200 June 17 and it came in June 20. I started to set up the printer; putting the spool on, plugging in the table, loading the filament, and decided to use the auto platform leveling program. By this point everything seemed to work, so I decided it was time to try out its first print. First thing I noticed when it began to print it was printing towards the back of the printer, even though in the program I had my part in the center of the plate. Then I realized the nozzle was way too close to the plate and began to scrape off the white paint. I shut off the printer within 30 seconds of the print starting to avoid further damage. I thought then maybe I should try and re-calibrate the table, but now, when the nozzle moves to the back left corner I get this horrible sound like an air compressor for about a second. In this video the printer made the same sound https://youtu.be/lw3mm6uM10k. Then the printer continues like normal until the front right corner, where the nozzle completely misses the silver part of the board and crashes into the table. It stops early when moving towards the front. I tried running the program several times and each time it's the exact same problem. I tired to print one of the files that came on the SD card, but like my first print it wasn't centered on the board, but towards the back near the plugs. I've tried cleaning and greasing the rails, but that hasn't had any effect on the problem, and to me it seems like the printer thinks it knows where the center is, but it's an inch off causing it to over extend. I've contacted support, but I don't think they'll reply on the weekend and want to know if anyone here can help. 

Stop using it and contact support and/or your reseller directly; your machine has serious issues that will most likely need replacement parts if not the whole thing swapped out. The reason I say this is that it would appear the drive axes are backwards; when it should be moving away from the corner it is actually driving into it (this is the 'air compressor' sound - the steppers/belts are skipping). 

Possible reasons that I can think of:

1. One/both of the x-y steppers are wired backwards; this actually happened pretty recently to somebody else that posted on here, so it is quite possible to happen again. If this is the case you'll probably need new stepper(s).

2. The stop switch is damaged and not reading causing the machine to attempt to return to home. This is unlikely since the print actually 'starts' which wouldn't happen until the switch was tripped

3. There is an error on the motherboard; this too is unlikely but not impossible. This will most likely require a new printer  since I don't think they offer the board as a replacement part. 

No matter what happens you'll definitely want to make sure you get a new plate, drive belt(s), and probably stepper(s) since they are quite damaged by this point. Also check to make sure that the feed tube above the heater block isn't bent from dragging; if it is you'll need a new hot-end as well. 

There could also be an end switch ''activator'' missing. I had this when I bought my machine, it came off during shipping and I found the little printed cylinder in the right bottom corner of my M200. Check if the blocks in the top touch the switches when homing the axes, there should be thos cylinders clicking the switches so the motor stops moving.

There could also be an end switch ''activator'' missing. I had this when I bought my machine, it came off during shipping and I found the little printed cylinder in the right bottom corner of my M200. Check if the blocks in the top touch the switches when homing the axes, there should be thos cylinders clicking the switches so the motor stops moving.

The only reason I wouldn't think this is the case is because the print actually starts, which it shouldn't do until it hits the limit switch. 

So I think the motors are wired properly, as it moves to the back left corner first during the leveling process then hits the wall and makes the horrible noise, the video just demonstrated the sound, and in terms of the limit switched there are only 2 which stop the extruder  from running in the front and left side. The extruder/feed tube seem fine though.

That looks like v1 - did you buy it used?

The "air compressor" noise is what it makes if it hits an obstacle preventing X-Y motion, like when the limit switch isn't working or isn't contacted. It's happened to me a few times when I've accidentally put things in the carriage path like fans etc. Never had any permanent damage result from it.

Definitely take a look at the limit switch and the cylindrical actuator on the belt block, as others have mentioned.

Looks like the electrical bed sensing failed once and then worked the next time, so it could be a nozzle or perfboard conductivity issue.

Just to clarify, that isn't my printer in the video, just someone I found while researching for my problem, I currently don't have a working camera unfortunately or any sort of smart phone to film it, had to save money for a printer somehow. The front peg is loose and doesn't seem to tighten, but still trips the switch, the right side peg is fine, but the back and left sides don't have pegs or any sort of limit switch. I bought it new through amazon from media supply. As for hitting the plate, the nozzle hits the exact same spot each time on the white part of the plate, hence why it can't sense it has touched the plate right? How can I tell what version my printer is?

Ah, OK. I knew the one in the video is a v1 because of the old Zortrax logo (and ball screw) :) The printer version can be accessed via the menu, I think it's under Maintenance.

There are only two limit switches for homing: the one on the left is for X and the one on the right is for Y.

The nozzle needs to hit a metal part of the perfboard in order to make contact for height sensing.

Sounds like your best bet may be to ask for a new printer unless you find something simple like a loose connector.

Just an update, support contacted me and had me try performing the X/Y maintenance. Everything seemed fined to begin with but I tried and still the exact same problem. However, I didn't see this before, the printer doesn't seem to home itself for the auto leveling program and for prints, it only trips the switch on the left side. The extruder does not even move towards the front to get close to tripping the switch, but the printer continues the print as if it has. 

Just an update, support contacted me and had me try performing the X/Y maintenance. Everything seemed fined to begin with but I tried and still the exact same problem. However, I didn't see this before, the printer doesn't seem to home itself for the auto leveling program and for prints, it only trips the switch on the left side. The extruder does not even move towards the front to get close to tripping the switch, but the printer continues the print as if it has. 

Sounds like the front switch may be shorted and the printer thinks it has reached home, check the connections of the switch, and if possible, check that the switch is in good working order with a multimeter.

Just to clarify, that isn't my printer in the video,

Whoops, I missed that. In that case (and with the added info) I’d agree with Drew. Grab a multimeter if you have one and see if the switch is ‘closed’ even when it’s not being pressed.

Okay, so I checked my limit switches with a multimeter and they both are working as intended; completed the circuit when closed, and they were plugged in fine. Could the problem be from faulty soldering on the mother board?

If you tested the switch off of the board, check for continuity between the pins on the female (board mounted) connector. This will show if there’s a short on the board.

One thing I don’t see mentioned anywhere is where is the print head starting out from? Does it start from the very front left and still miss the pad?

I would move the head manually to the center before powering on. Then power on and try to run calibration. It should home to x-y zero, stop, and give you warning to use gloves(or something like that) and push button to continue. If it does this, limit switches are fine. It might be binding when trying to move away from zero.  I just tried this on mine to confirm behavior.

My printer had that missing thing that hits the switch and it did print, just with a lot of noise in the beginning..

My printer had that missing thing that hits the switch and it did print, just with a lot of noise in the beginning..

That's interesting. I guess it moves "enough" so it should be back to the origin. In this case I would second Kyle's advice of manually moving the head to the origin.

I bought the m200 June 17 and it came in June 20. I started to set up the printer; putting the spool on, plugging in the table, loading the filament, and decided to use the auto platform leveling program. By this point everything seemed to work, so I decided it was time to try out its first print. First thing I noticed when it began to print it was printing towards the back of the printer, even though in the program I had my part in the center of the plate. Then I realized the nozzle was way too close to the plate and began to scrape off the white paint. I shut off the printer within 30 seconds of the print starting to avoid further damage. I thought then maybe I should try and re-calibrate the table, but now, when the nozzle moves to the back left corner I get this horrible sound like an air compressor for about a second. In this video the printer made the same sound https://youtu.be/lw3mm6uM10k. Then the printer continues like normal until the front right corner, where the nozzle completely misses the silver part of the board and crashes into the table. It stops early when moving towards the front. I tried running the program several times and each time it's the exact same problem. I tired to print one of the files that came on the SD card, but like my first print it wasn't centered on the board, but towards the back near the plugs. I've tried cleaning and greasing the rails, but that hasn't had any effect on the problem, and to me it seems like the printer thinks it knows where the center is, but it's an inch off causing it to over extend. I've contacted support, but I don't think they'll reply on the weekend and want to know if anyone here can help. 

Hello there spinmaster.

You should definitely contact our customer support team regarding this issue: support@zortrax.com or simply contact your nearest Zortrax Reseller.

Regards,

Chris