Printing large flat objects

Hello,

I have a big model to print and was wondering what is the best way to print it - oriented vertical or horizontal (in case of warping and dimensional accuracy). It’s a large prototype consisting of 8 pieces which I will have to glue together. What do You think? All the pieces are a 3mm thick shell (like a car body for example). 

Thank’s for Your help :slight_smile:

Will the part be used? This is a big consideration. If it is meant to take any kind of bending loads, you want the layers to be normal (perpendicular) to the the axis of bending. I'm only an engineer, so one of the artsy people on here can tell you the best way to print it just for looks.  ;)

If I was doing it , I think standing up is your best bet

Part will not be used, it's just for presentation purpose. The surface quality is also not very important. What worries me is the warping and potential problems with assembly.

I'm also thinking UP is the way to go (it's also faster and uses less material).

Thank’s for reply :slight_smile:

Problem with up is that you have minimal contact to raft combined with a tall wall… It may pop off the raft… But on the other hand it is bowed…so it may work…give it a shot!

Will the part be used? This is a big consideration. If it is meant to take any kind of bending loads, you want the layers to be normal (perpendicular) to the the axis of bending. I'm only an engineer, so one of the artsy people on here can tell you the best way to print it just for looks.  ;)

I run into this same scenario often, so let's say this part is going to be used and the bending force is in Z if you lay the part flat on the bed.  Would you want to build it flat also so that the layer lines (weak point) are normal to the direction of the force?

I would print it UP but not with full infill, because that might cause deformation of the object. Use medium infill and maybe fast speed. Since the shell is just 3mm thick it will anyway be printed almost full but with a little air in the middle that will compensate ABS expansion during print and later retraction when becoming cold.

The real problem here could be that the printhead always stays on the same track. It is better that if you print it UP side you'll make 2-3 pieces of your set at once, so that each layer of a piece will have the time to cool a bit before next pass.

@verv, orient your print horizontal like in the 2.jpg screen to prevent deformations. Use 30* of the support angle.

Hello,

I have a big model to print and was wondering what is the best way to print it - oriented vertical or horizontal (in case of warping and dimensional accuracy). It’s a large prototype consisting of 8 pieces which I will have to glue together. What do You think? All the pieces are a 3mm thick shell (like a car body for example). 

Thank’s for Your help :slight_smile:

Do you have side walls for your printer?  That would help reduce warping as well.

@verv, orient your print horizontal like in the 2.jpg screen to prevent deformations. Use 30* of the support angle.

interesting, why would it be better?

i would have chosen to print it as in the 1.jpg screen

Yes, I have a side walls :)

I’m printing a sample right now (horizontal). Will let You know how it came out.

Hi, horizontal print failed (there was not enough support and one piece collapsed) so i tried vertical. It came out good with just a little deformation on bottom edges. After gluing and sanding there is no sign of a connection. Now I'm trying with Z-HIPS ti see is there any difference.

(there was not enough support and one piece collapsed)

Please increase support angle.

Um...I don't see a failed print. It looks really good to me. Or am I missing something?

Unless its suppose to look exactly like the pic in Zsuite in first post, then I see it. lol

:) 

I don’t have a picture of failed print, instead I have posted a good one but printed in different orientation. It looks different because It’s the different part of the same prototype (the whole model is composed of 8 parts).