printing problems: edges of part bend up

First of all, thank you for your effort!

Now, I can be sure that my printer works correct. Morevoer, I printed the overhang test and got the same results as the person in the link.

I guess the problem with the gear cube part is, that the extruder is printing an overhang (so the string is overhanging) and after that it almost immediately goes back. The printer is actually printing a small edge in the air. Through the way back there comes also some tension on the string at this enhances the bending (but also the warp of ABS is responsible for that).

Maybe, it would be possible to solve or at least reduce this problem if the printer is printing these edges slower and the string gets some additional coolinh through a second fan (as somebody already noticed in this thread). I hope that Chris will read this thread and introduces some testings for a fine tuning of the Z-suite settings.

Best regards,

uncle bens

Hello Zortrax Community,

I just got my Zortrax on Friday. Actually I'm very happy with it. Excepted of the long time for heating the extruder and small burnings and stings (I guess there is no possibility to avoid them). But when I printed some parts for my cube gear today, some edges started to bend up. The result of this was that the edges did not become sharp and clean. Moreover, it led to some slight burns. Also the top of the part looks more like a bigger blob than a peak. Now, I'm asking myself, if it's possible to avoid this effect (hopefully without starting to enable support). Maybe the effect could be reduced by increasing the fan speed (when it is on auto, the software maybe doesn't recognize that the edges are small parts which need more cooling) or by printing with a higher resolution. What do you think? The parts were printed in the same position as on the last pic.

Settings:

Speed: Normal (Slow is unfortunately not possible to choose)

Layer: 0.19mm

Fan speed: Auto

Support: 20° (wasn't used)

Infil: solid

Material: Z-ABS

Thanks for your help!

Hello there uncle bens

OK, so our advice in this case is to increase the bottom fan speed up to 80-100%. This should solve your burn marks issue for now. We're aware of the problem and we're working on fixing it in the upcomming software updates. 

As it goes about the reason of that kind of burnings, it's the matter of combination of the size of the model, walls angles and edges of the print. So as you can see, it needs special approach to achieve the best possible qualitye from that kind of prints.

Best regards,

Chris

Well, the burnings are not as annoying as the problems with the edges and the peak. But I guess you are aware of all of these problems with this print and try to fix them.

Thank you very much!