Questions about the v1 Kickstarter M200 and repairs

Hello,

So I currently have a M200 v4 and I love it. I have some products I sell and am in need of getting a second machine to keep up. I found a M200 v1 that still even has the Kickstarter stickers on it for sale. I had some questions about it before I pulled the trigger.

First question. I remember seeing someone somewhere talking about the differences between the different models but I can’t seem to find it anymore. Are these changes from v1-4 anything that would be too noticeable?

I plan on upgrading the extruder and build plate to the v2 but is there anything else worth upgrading?

Secondly. The seller says the Z axis is not functional at the moment. I’ve worked on 3D printers before and am good with electronics in general so not a big deal. I assume worst case scenario is I have to replace the stepper motor. Best I need to clean it.

The Zortrax uses just a standard stepper right? No need to buy any particular model I assume. I found one company selling something they called Zortax OEM steppers but they are in Europe so no thanks on the shipping.

Also is there anything else that could be causing this issue that I’m not thinking of? Obviously I know there is that little chance it’s something much more challenging to fix like a fried board or something but I was wondering if there was any other common causes known for the Z to stop working.

I could think in worst case, means a stuck Z-Axis, burned motor and defective controller. :wink:

At least I would ask the seller if the bed can be move up and down freely when the printer is powered off.

And without measuring the voltages at the stepper (at the time movement should occur) I would add a new controller on my risk list.

the topic about changes:

http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1993-what-are-the-changes-through-the-m200-changes

I could think in worst case, means a stuck Z-Axis, burned motor and defective controller. ;-)

At least I would ask the seller if the bed can be move up and down freely when the printer is powered off.

And without measuring the voltages at the stepper (at the time movement should occur) I would add a new controller on my risk list.

Do you know if a controller is something I can buy through Zortrax? Because with it being a v1 it is obviously out of warranty. And if you can any idea on pricing?

Do you know if a controller is something I can buy through Zortrax? Because with it being a v1 it is obviously out of warranty. And if you can any idea on pricing?

sorry, I have no idea but you could ask your reseller or Zortrax directly.

sorry, I have no idea but you could ask your reseller or Zortrax directly.

Sounds good, thanks.

I have a v1 and a v3 and use them pretty much interchangeably. I kind of prefer the v1 but maybe that's just me being sentimental :)

They do sound a bit different. The power supply fan is a bit louder on the v1 (but that's easily changed if it bothers you) and the Z-axis on the v3 makes a little classic-robotic-stepper squeal when doing "Z-lift" moves that I never hear on the v1. I'm not even sure if Z-lift is supported on the v1, but they both have ball screws.

I don't see a significant difference in print quality. The v1 may have a bit of X-Y shift from time to time due to a couple of years of abuse and lack of maintenance :)

One significant issue the early v1's suffered from was extreme ESD sensitivity in the LCD/encoder board - there was a grounding issue causing prints to stop randomly. Zortrax sent replacements to users on request. Ask the seller if he changed the LCD assembly.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I won’t be getting the printer at this point. He wants $1k for it broken and isn’t budging. No thanks.