Random Seam

Hi All,

After 2 years of using an UP Plus, I've gone over to the Zortrax with few regrets.

But a lot of my designs use interference fit cylindrical parts, and I am having trouble with the finish on the seam.

I generally print in 0.19 ABS, light support and fan on 20%/auto. The part that gives the most trouble is a cylindrical thinnish walled tube about 12mm diameter and 80mm tall.

My machine has the perspex sides and door on it as well.

If I use the standard seam it's got a ridge bad enough to say it's no longer round.

If I use the random seam it is rounder, but there are blobs all over the surface and "web" all over the place between the parts (I do batches of 6 at a time).

I'm wondering if a different fan setting might work better with the random seam function?

I'm also wondering how they managed to get it to do such a dodgy cylinder even with a standard seam...is this a software issue?

I've attached the file in case someone would be kind enough to show mw how to make it print better in lots of 6.

Other than that, a brilliant machine that has done about 20 hours a day printing since it arrived about 3-4 weeks ago.

Thank you all in advance for any assistance.

Cheers,

Could you post some pictures your prints?

Printed your model and drew up one myself with increased polygon count. First two pics mine is on the left. Last pic mine is on right. I did get webbing between the two but it scraped right off. Tube looks pretty round on both models. InP7KG.jpglB7Y5l.jpgyePyYM.jpg

Cheers Kyle,

What settings did you use please?

How do I increase the "polygon count"?

That does look a bit better, did you use the "random seam".

Thanks again,

That is with normal seam. You should be able to adjust quality on stl export depending on modeling software. I redrew it in Designspark Mechanical.settings were .19, full infill, auto fan. Default basically.

I'm using Inventor Fusion 2013, and have never found out how to increase the resolution when exporting stl files.

Mind you, I'm a self taught novice cad designer.

Is Design Spark the program you use for all your work?

Would this be a better choice for small mechanical parts?

I have another problem with this file. When I click "print" and it starts slicing, then it comes to "generate path" and only makes it to 18% before wanting to display Z code.

It seems to do this on cylindrical parts only.

** The file you sent Kyle printed much better. I'm seriously considering DSM for it's adjustable settings when it's exporting stl's.

Just such a pity it doesn't do text...

I have another problem with this file. When I click "print" and it starts slicing, then it comes to "generate path" and only makes it to 18% before wanting to display Z code.

It seems to do this on cylindrical parts only.

That happens sometimes, i also print cylindricla parts taht have to fit and some parts stop at random % during the path generation. Changinq the layer thickness sometimes helps. Or rotating it

For mechanicla parts i use openSCAD

[URL=http://minus.com/i/Qq4DplRQER7T]jQq4DplRQER7T.jpg[/URL]

It was as simple as printing it with full fill, it didn't like solid.

@Hobbymods I think you need to choose high resolution when exporting to stl. This will arise the number of polygon counts.

Take a look at this.