Simple Heat Test Between Z-ABS & Traditional PLA

On of my main reasons for considering a move to M200's was to gain the temperature resistance (and affordability) of Z-ABS. I took delivery of my first M200 less than a week ago and am still diligently testing. Today was a simple heat test with Black filament. PLA was printed on a Replicator 2…….. M200 for the Z-ABS.

45 minutes in a car in direct sunlight. Temp rose from 72 degrees to over 120 degrees f and the PLA product became soft to the touch (two fingers of pressure) while the Z-ABS stayed nice and rigid with no deformation.  I'l give it several more hours and check again but am very happy so far!

Initial setup and temp. 350

IMG_6486.jpeg

45 minutes later on a 57 degree day in Denver. 347

IMG_6488.jpeg

PLA on the left and Z-ABS on the right. Deformation from 2 fingers of minimal pressure on the PLA. Nice and rigid still with Z-ABS 349

IMG_6489.jpeg

Same results with second set of test samples. Z-ABS left and PLA right. 348

IMG_6490.jpeg

Hi

Thanks for this very demonstrative test, so what's the interest of PLA printing ?

Hi

Thanks for this very demonstrative test, so what's the interest of PLA printing ?

You can do investment casting with PLA.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVVSZP3Au4

You can buy almost any opensource machine and print PLA without problems, they are half the price of zortrax and results are fine with fine tuning.

You can buy almost any opensource machine and print PLA without problems, they are half the price of zortrax and results are fine with fine tuning.

Or I can wait for PLA and not spend the money on another printer.. That would make my wife MUCH happier.... :D That is the only thing I need PLA for though.. I'm quite happy with the Z-ABS for other stuff...

Remember Kyle you can investment cast ABS as well so long as you have proper ventilation

Well, is ABS smoke really toxic or just unpleasant ?

Well, is ABS smoke really toxic or just unpleasant ?

Smoke I can imagine would be VERY bad for you..(also means your printer is on fire  :D)  The very slight odor created by 3D printing not so much.. Read this.. http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2012/9/17/is-abs-killing-you.html

Smoke I can imagine would be VERY bad for you..(also means your printer is on fire  :D) 

:huh:  :rolleyes: