Small connector broken?

Hello

I have an issue with my printer during calibration, I think it might be the small connector. The following happens:

1. When I choose to calibrate "Maintenance" > "Calibrate", the platform doesn't move up to the extruder nozzle, it actually moves down.

2. When I start a print, the platform doesn't move up to the nozzle.

As I understand it, during calibration the platform moves up towards the nozzle, and when they touch it closes the circuit, so it knows the platform has touched the nozzle. But I suspect in my case the circuit is always closed, so it thinks the platform has touched the nozzle, but hasn't.

Does this seem right?

I'll have my multimeter tomorrow so I can check the connection, but want to check my logic.

Thanks in advance

Ben

This is becoming VERY common! Zortrax, please look into this ASAP.

Try removing all the screws holding the bed down and try again. I suspect there is a short between the bed and printer. This tells the printer the nozzle is touching the bed so it lowers.

Looking at connector on platform from front of printer... left and middle pin will have continuity.. The right pin is separate..

Hello

I have an issue with my printer during calibration, I think it might be the small connector. The following happens:

1. When I choose to calibrate "Maintenance" > "Calibrate", the platform doesn't move up to the extruder nozzle, it actually moves down.

2. When I start a print, the platform doesn't move up to the nozzle.

As I understand it, during calibration the platform moves up towards the nozzle, and when they touch it closes the circuit, so it knows the platform has touched the nozzle. But I suspect in my case the circuit is always closed, so it thinks the platform has touched the nozzle, but hasn't.

Does this seem right?

I'll have my multimeter tomorrow so I can check the connection, but want to check my logic.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Hello Ben

Could you please provide a photo or movie showing the issue? (especially the board connector). Also, please provide your hardware version and perforated board version.

Don't forget to check your heatbed cable if it's allright.

winsonj, Kyle, thanks for the advice.

Somehow it's working again.

I checked the connections with a multimeter, seemed fine. GND on the left connectors and +3.xV on the right. +£.xV between nozzle and contact squares on bed. Took the printbed of heating bed, seemed fine.

Tried a calibration again and it worked. So not sure what the problem was and will have to keep an eye on it.

That being said, that small connector really bothers me for something that's designed to be plugged out and in for each print. It's WAY too fragile. The one plastic corner on the bed side has already broken off, and I've hardly used the printer.

I really think that should be changed to a stronger connector...

my problem was the Extruder Cable with Heater an the Sensor on V2 Noozle  (1 Cable)  and zortrax didn't help me either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xw0AUYkuSY

2:15 with the old firmware (heating problem)

http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1957-printing-problem/#entry23495

or you have  a v2 platform for that I have currently no solution

I checked the connections with a multimeter, seemed fine. GND on the left connectors and +3.xV on the right. +£.xV between nozzle and contact squares on bed. Took the printbed of heating bed, seemed fine.

Tried a calibration again and it worked. So not sure what the problem was and will have to keep an eye on it.

That being said, that small connector really bothers me for something that's designed to be plugged out and in for each print. It's WAY too fragile. The one plastic corner on the bed side has already broken off, and I've hardly used the printer.

I modded my cable as soon as got my machine, the original design has so many issues I'm speechless!

I installed a 9 pin Molex connector and slightly weakened the sockets to make insertion and removal easier, now with only 2 fingers on one hand I can connect/disconnect the cable.

I have done this to several machines now, all are working great.

Future plan is to do away with connectors and use Pogo pins, the existing magnets are more than strong enough to compress fully 9 pins and the cable can be completely restrained to the mount bracket removing flexing/breakage issues.

It will probably happen again. The short is intermittent. I thought I repaired a machine twice, only to get it back to the customer and find it stopped working again.