strange problem with ABS print at 0.09 mm

Hi, i have problem with simple print for my client. I need to print a socket, like this

this.jpg

and my problem starts, when i print upper part, wall has thickness 0.8 mm in stl file (but it's printed 1.2mm) and looks like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It seems that the printer is extruding too much fillament, but... lower part is ok, other prints are ok. Problem occurs when wall thickness is 1.2 mm or less.

here you can download stl file, maybe it can be usefull: http://3d-bakst.pl/img_net/this.stl

if you have an idea how to solve this problem, or what may be the cause, I would be grateful for your help and suggestions.

Print parameters:

layer thickness: 0.09mm

infill: full, solid, medium... (no matter)

fan speed 60%, 20% (no matter)

material ABS :)

Regards,

Bartek

3d-BaKSt.pl

Hi, i have problem with simple print for my client. I need to print a socket, like this

this.jpg

and my problem starts, when i print upper part, wall has thickness 0.8 mm in stl file (but it's printed 1.2mm) and looks like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It seems that the printer is extruding too much fillament, but... lower part is ok, other prints are ok. Problem occurs when wall thickness is 1.2 mm or less.

here you can download stl file, maybe it can be usefull: http://3d-bakst.pl/img_net/this.stl

if you have an idea how to solve this problem, or what may be the cause, I would be grateful for your help and suggestions.

Print parameters:

layer thickness: 0.09mm

infill: full, solid, medium... (no matter)

fan speed 60%, 20% (no matter)

material ABS :)

Regards,

Bartek

3d-BaKSt.pl

z-ABS is not working ok with .09 try UltraT and you will have no issues.

I have had the same issue for a long time with parts and already send stl and zcode files.

z-ABS is not working ok with .09 try UltraT and you will have no issues.

I have had the same issue for a long time with parts and already send stl and zcode files.

maybe, but I had no problems with ABS at 0.09 earlier, with slightly thicker walls.

I sent a question to Zortrax.

I've been told this is an issue, with .09 layer have tried thicker walls with simillar failures

I printed a single one at .14 with 100% fan. The wall thickness was still a little off but that's going to be hard to get. .08 is twice the nozzle size but when ABS is pushed out onto surface it flattens out a bit. My wall thickness was 1.15mm  You should also set support at 10 degrees. I'm not sure why it is wanting support all the way around. You don't need it. I didn't watch it print so I'm not sure why it has chatter marks.. I'll have to print another.. assKYx.jpg6XeRnR.jpg

I've been told this is an issue, with .09 layer have tried thicker walls with simillar failures

Thanks for info, today I reprinted it with ULTRAT at 0.09mm layer. Effect is better, but not ideal.

I printed a single one at .14 with 100% fan. The wall thickness was still a little off but that's going to be hard to get. .08 is twice the nozzle size but when ABS is pushed out onto surface it flattens out a bit. My wall thickness was 1.15mm  You should also set support at 10 degrees. I'm not sure why it is wanting support all the way around. You don't need it. I didn't watch it print so I'm not sure why it has chatter marks.. I'll have to print another.. assKYx.jpg6XeRnR.jpg

Also tried today printing at 0.14 layer, and i got similar result as on photo above.

My reseller said that most likely, this is a problem with the project, stl is corrupted, I will try to reproject it in different software.

I imported the file into DS Mechanical and it did detect an error. I converted it to a solid and resaved as STL. Now on 20 degree support is no longer all the way around. I'll print at all default settings and let you know. full infill, .190, normal speed, 20 degree support, fan auto.

.190 looks better but I think it might just be the wall thickness. .08 I think is going to be hard to hit. ndDdNN.jpgbEml1n.jpgjlvhca.jpg

It’s the software issue that will be fixed ASAP. For now we recommend to print models with wall thickens at least at 1.2mm

I did some tests for myself, to know how to project models to avoid holes,

I made walls with thickness 0.4mm and around, and x2, x3 of that, then seen effects on zcode view,

i found that minimum single wall thickness is 0.45mm, and min. tripled wall thickness is 1.29mm (3x 0.43mm), otherwise there's a space between walls, because printed lines don't overlap

so it's good to make n x 0.43mm walls if that's possible, i.e. 1.29mm wall is good (1.3mm when rounded to 0.1mm), less than that makes hole between,

but:

that will be fixed ASAP

so let's just wait :),

I found that walls drawn at 0.060" (1.54mm) print as two single filament walls with no infill and space between. At 0.080" (2.0mm) I got a solid wall. So there must be a few sweet spot values for wall thickness in the current Z-Suite.

Did a test print at .09 ABS and it seemed to work fine. Those pics of the prints are horrible. I feel for ya. I'd be upset if I had a print job come out like that.

I did a repair on Nettfabb just incase.

I did change the surface layers to 3 and 3.

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I really need to get a better camera. iPhone camera just doesn't cut it or do things justice. Any suggestions? A cheap nice camera that is. lol

Thanks for info, today I reprinted it with ULTRAT at 0.09mm layer. Effect is better, but not ideal.

Also tried today printing at 0.14 layer, and i got similar result as on photo above.

My reseller said that most likely, this is a problem with the project, stl is corrupted, I will try to reproject it in different software.

I cannot imagine who would say it is a corrupt model... if it was corrupt would it simply not print? and if you change Z resolution it gets better, I have never encountered an STL that was "corrupted" only un-solid which is easy enough to fix.

-Michael

I really need to get a better camera. iPhone camera just doesn't cut it or do things justice. Any suggestions? A cheap nice camera that is. lol

Galaxy S5    :D

LMAO! Funny Kyle. 

Actually I have  a Pentax 55mm camera on the way, should get in a week. Should take some awesome pics with that.

LMAO! Funny Kyle. 

Actually I have  a Pentax 55mm camera on the way, should get in a week. Should take some awesome pics with that.

Nice.. I have an Olympus OM-D EM5. I need to use it more. Just easier to upload with the phone..

hello everyone,

I can groped a printout with this file?

who turns me the file?

material? abs or z-ultrat?

thank you

hello everyone,

I can groped a printout with this file?

who turns me the file?

material? abs or z-ultrat?

thank you

The link to file is in the first post. Mine was done in ABS.

Thanks … ci provo :wink: z-abs

the original file .stl was “repaired”

size piece

15.00x17.90x h 23.20 mm thickness mm 1.08 / 1.38

black

z suites: 0.09.1

material: Z-ultrat

speed: normal

thickness: 0:14

Infill: full

support: 20°

support lite: yes