suggestions as to wich programs to use wanted.

greetings.

After much reading and weighing pros and cons i’ve pretty much ended up with the decision im going to order a zortrax.

I have no experience with 3d printing other than having stood in awe since they became available. I have now aquired the cash needed but before i commit and hit the order button i need to make certain i can take advantage of the printer as I intend and that means being able to manage the virtual creation.

So - I would like to hear from you guys.

Wich programs should i get and try to master keeping in mind i am very much an amateur having only dabbled a little bit with 3dstudio and done some work with autocad.

I want something easy to use/learn and able to add some fine detail for texturing.

I much prefer hearing from users like you guys working with the zortrax.

Thanks!

Oh! And by the way;

Price isn’t much of a concern. I much rather prefer to pay for an intuitive smoothly featured program than to figure out a cruder, less intuitive free program.

I have no doubt: even if there are few very impressive free 3D CAD softwares, I suggest to try "Moment of Inspiration" MOI3D (www.moi3d.com).
It is at the same time very easy and powerful to use.
It is not free, I know, but you pay for something that really worth all the moneys you spend.

Then, I usually check my STL files with the free online Microsoft service "modelrepair.azurewebsites.net".

I'm a big fan of Tinkercad. It looks toy-ish at first, but in fact it's capable of quite serious work and it's amazingly intuitive with a very fast learning curve.

Well I use Designspark Mechanical. Powerful easy to use software, but not good for organic models or texturing..

To do parametric desgins that i can after change i use openSCAD

http://www.openscad.org/

To draw designs i use FreeCAD

http://www.freecadweb.org/

Both of them are open Source software

hahah I hear the same programs over and over.

I have tried using all of them and I apparently am 3D illiterate because the only program I can really use with ease is Blender.

On the other programs, maybe I didnt give it enough time, the functions are like martian writing. lmao

The only way to see what will work for you is to try them all. Even the paid programs have trials. I have 5 different 3D programs on my computer and only 2 I really use, well maybe three. Blender- to design  Netfabb Basic-to fix the files Rhinoceros-to copy and explode objects plus fix and expand or lessen object triangles. 

Cheers and have fun. Its all trial and error, well atlas to me it is. I do things the hard way and just keep pressing buttons until something works. hehehe

((Btw- I should tell you I only use Mac computers. I am anti-windows. So some of the software I might've used if I were on a windows system but I refuse to lower my standards or abandoned my principles for a program that refuses to make a Mac version.))

Wich programs should i get and try to master keeping in mind i am very much an amateur having only dabbled a little bit with 3dstudio and done some work with autocad.

I want something easy to use/learn and able to add some fine detail for texturing.

Do you intend to do organic designs. like this lamp:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:730263

or mechanical designs, like this moving Toyota engine:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644933

Mike

Mike

i guess i would say somewhere in between those two.

i have many ideas and wants for a printer but mainly its for sculpting and printing miniature terrain. Dungeon walls, floors etc. Mainly simple geometric shapes but with some 3d texturing for weathering like stone, wood and cracks.

Currently i am testing out moi3d as first suggested. It’s working but with some bugs when i later import the objects into the texturing program, 3d-coat, im trying to figure out at the same time.

I will most likely move down the list and try more of the programs suggested to ensure I find the most efficiant one for me as i want to ensure i can reliably produce stuff to justify spending a months salary on a printer.

Zim - I'm more of a mechanical guy and can't help with the organic stuff, though I've heard good things about MOI.

You might check in the Printroom section on the forum here, find examples that members have posted that similar to what you want to do and ask those members what they use.

Mike

Zim - I'm more of a mechanical guy and can't help with the organic stuff, though I've heard good things about MOI.

You might check in the Printroom section on the forum here, find examples that members have posted that similar to what you want to do and ask those members what they use.

Mike

Michael.. I can't believe you do mechanical drawings and don't like Tinker OR Designspark. That is as simple as it gets. No triangles to mess with, just shapes.. Designspark is very easy if you have ever used any Autocad.. Draw in 2D and pull it into 3D..

Michael.. I can't believe you do mechanical drawings and don't like Tinker OR Designspark. That is as simple as it gets. No triangles to mess with, just shapes.. Designspark is very easy if you have ever used any Autocad.. Draw in 2D and pull it into 3D..

I use GeoMagic Design and started with it back in 2008 or earlier when it was Alibre.  Maintenance on that is $400/year and feature enhancements since 3DS bought Alibre have been pretty meager for the past couple year so I'm going to be looking at alternatives, like DS or SC, Fusion 360, and OnShape.  I need something that works equally well for CNC machined and 3D printed parts and all of those will probably work.  I looked at Blender very briefly and the UI was not at all intuitive to me, but haven't looked at TinkerCAD yet.  One issue will be how hard it is to convert existing GM files (3 GB of them) to the GM replacement.

Mike

Yeah i tried blender briefly too. Took me about half an hour to stop spawning new windows all the time trying desperately to close them haha.

I’ve now been working alot in moi and I really find it excellent. However due to trouble with erroneous polygons and messed up meshes when I import into 3d coat and mudbox I also tried some of the others suggested. Im having the same trouble on all of them so my favourite thus far is moi -

however DS is so similar to moi i might end up with that considering its much the same and free.

Ill try some more of the ones suggested though. Its very much appreciated. a few weeks ago i had little experience 3d modelling and now im starting to figure it out. Even got a few designs ready and a brand spankin’ new zortrax on the way in the mail!

Going away for easter and hopefully coming home to a sexy little plastic-spewing beast!

Blender, 3Ds, Maya, and their ilk are good for making organic shapes like sculptures and artsy stuff. Solidworks, Sketchup, DS, etc. are better for architectural and mechanical applications. Different beasts, different applications, and different workflows.

You say you're 3D-illiterate because you only know how to use Blender, but as someone who has trouble making sense of anything more natural than 90- and 45-degree angles, Blender is arcane magic to me :)

Watching a Blender tutorial for beginners.. Coffee cup.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__uzGKmxt8 It's painful!!!!! LOL!!! I could have done this in Designspark in under 3 minutes..

OK.. I just drew the same basic shape in about 4 minutes.. That would include making a few changes when I was done.. Took this guy almost 30 minutes.. No thanks!!! What a mess.. Press Ctrl this and Ctrl that.. No shell mode for inside??? How do people work with this??  I see why so many models are not water tight..

Yeah i tried blender briefly too. Took me about half an hour to stop spawning new windows all the time trying desperately to close them haha.

I’ve now been working alot in moi and I really find it excellent. However due to trouble with erroneous polygons and messed up meshes when I import into 3d coat and mudbox I also tried some of the others suggested. Im having the same trouble on all of them so my favourite thus far is moi -

however DS is so similar to moi i might end up with that considering its much the same and free.

Ill try some more of the ones suggested though. Its very much appreciated. a few weeks ago i had little experience 3d modelling and now im starting to figure it out. Even got a few designs ready and a brand spankin’ new zortrax on the way in the mail!

Going away for easter and hopefully coming home to a sexy little plastic-spewing beast!

You get your printer yet?

You get your printer yet?

Just got home from easter and no printer in sight =)

Tracked it a few days ago and it's expected next monday

Say - At work, whenever we're recieving something especially fragile and expencive, the shipments come attached with a sort of chemical sensor to ensure the transporting company treats the shipments properly/as instructed. It's a tiny glass container containing a liquid of some sort that, when experiencing strong jolts, will change color.

So there's a sticker on the package with this small glass bubble, like in a leveller, and if it's black we know not to accept the shipment as it may contain damage. 

I imagine 3d printers are fragile enough and certainly expencive enough internationally to warrant a sticker like this when you order, eh?

I believe that sticker is quite inexpencive.

Just got home from easter and no printer in sight =)

Tracked it a few days ago and it's expected next monday

Say - At work, whenever we're recieving something especially fragile and expencive, the shipments come attached with a sort of chemical sensor to ensure the transporting company treats the shipments properly/as instructed. It's a tiny glass container containing a liquid of some sort that, when experiencing strong jolts, will change color.

So there's a sticker on the package with this small glass bubble, like in a leveller, and if it's black we know not to accept the shipment as it may contain damage. 

I imagine 3d printers are fragile enough and certainly expencive enough internationally to warrant a sticker like this when you order, eh?

I believe that sticker is quite inexpencive.

They do package them very well. Should have double box and 2 inch dense (foam) packing material all around and inside. They even started putting clips on the rods to ensure they stay in place. Always worth looking into though..

The only free ones that I would consider are:

Fusion 360

OnShape

Design Spark Mechanical

Watching a Blender tutorial for beginners.. Coffee cup.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__uzGKmxt8 It's painful!!!!! LOL!!! I could have done this in Designspark in under 3 minutes..

I gave up about 5 minutes into the demo/tutorial.  Is this the way software by committee works?  Painful is too kind.

Mike