Support structure generation options needed

I am not very happy with support structure generation in Z-Suite. I am using ABS. I've printed several parts so far and the supports seem to be extremely difficult to remove cleanly, especially on complex parts, even with "support lite" enabled (with 10 degrees selected). Also, the software seems to insert an insane amount of supports where they may not necessarily be needed. This is especially a problem in the internal portions of a part.

There should be options to let users edit supports to add or remove them. I've worked with Makerbot's software and it seems to be much better with supports...it doesn't seem to throw down nearly as many support structures and it actually lets you remove internal supports. FormLabs software is even better, it generates optimal supports automatically, but it then lets you have complete control over insertion and removal of any supports. I know these machines use different materials but still...current support generation in Z-Suite can be very frustrating and can certainly be improved.

I realize the Z-Suite software is marketed to be easy to use but I am finding it awfully limiting at times. I think at the very least, support structure options need to be added...automatic support generation should be a starting point not a limit. What makes things worse is unlike other companies, you can't download software before purchasing the printer...so you have to discover these issues after you put down the money. Honestly, this software issue alone is making me reconsider my purchase, which is sad because the hardware seems to be excellent.

Hi Kmav,

Have you tried any of the options that are built into the software, there are a lot of settings you can change that effect the amount of and placement of support.

You make no mention of trying the options available.

You are right that you could not download the software before getting a serial number but as always there were plenty of manuals, videos and tutorials available for free to study before making an informed decision of what to buy, did you do the research, you must have if you saw all the good reviews by users.

Hope this helps

Drew

Yes, I have been fiddling with the options. As I mentioned, I've gone to the lowest setting (10 degrees) and am using support lite in order to reduce generation of supports. Those are the only two settings that affect supports directly. Changing these settings affects all of the supports for all parts on the stage equally. I have no way of augmenting supports where I think they are needed and reducing or removing them where they may not be necessary. This would be especially useful in the internal regions of parts or holes.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your comment on the software. Manuals etc are not a substitute for putting your own parts in the software and seeing how they will print. In fact, I scoured the internet for reviews and videos before I made the purchase...but obviously no amount of reading made me aware of possible issues with how the software will treat my parts.

I do love the quality of the prints when they work. I would just like to see more control options added to the software because everybody's parts are going to be different and I doubt any software, no matter how good, would be smart enough to automatically generate optimal print options for ALL conceivable geometries and parts.

Yes, I also think the support structure writing could be improved, particularly when there’s a very small overhang of eg. 0.1mm in a CAD model, which doesn’t need any support I think.

I feel the same way. Couldn’t believe I couldn’t add or remove support in the program. I use simplify3D with my other printer and you can add remove supports where you want. Even the crappy software that came with my flashforge dream lets you do this. I think zortrax should most definitely work on added this options to there software

I feel the same way. Couldn't believe I couldn't add or remove support in the program. I use simplify3D with my other printer and you can add remove supports where you want. Even the crappy software that came with my flashforge dream lets you do this. I think zortrax should most definitely work on added this options to there software

I feel the same way, we need the option to manually remove any support. This is very important. I have some prints where I can't remove the support material with out damage to my print. We need more control, we are not stupid.  

yes, i some instances when i use supports in one area that is needed it puts supports in areas that are not needed and i cannot remove them.

i would love to be able to delete supports that are not needed like meshmixer does.

i would also comment that the support color should be customizeable for easy clarity.

thanks

Thanks for the feedback kmav, we will definitely consider your suggestions in the new upcomming versions of Z-suite.