Thinking of upgrading to a Zortrax

Hi All

Hope you can help

I have been printing with a xyz da vinci 1,0 for nearly a year and decided that its no longer up-to the job and was looking at new options on the market and loved the quality people have been getting with the Zortrax M200...

But before I take the plunge one of the big issues with closed XYZ printing is the software sucks and lacks lots of features...  One of my biggest bugbears is the inability to print mutable small parts one at a time on the bed. Does the Zortrax suite software allow you print small objects 5mm high one at a time during the same print cycle, so the printer will print one completely and move onto the next?

Thanks for you help

Spanners : -) 

Not (yet?) but is it really necessary?

No it will print all at the same time only, which is better you will get a better print if it prints all at the same time it lets each part cool while its printing the next one you will get it cleaner print that way, it may take a bit longer it is better to have a great print you will get over the extra time it takes

Not (yet?) but is it really necessary?

No it will print all at the same time only, which is better you will get a better print if it prints all at the same time it lets each part cool while its printing the next one you will get it cleaner print that way, it may take a bit longer it is better to have a great print you will get over the extra time it takes

Thanks for your replies 

With my printer printing two many together reduces the final strength of the print, and layers are not as well stuck together, probably as the Zortrax in in a different league with material and quality it may be an non issue...

I understand your concern SpannerHands. In my opinion, there is a "sweet spot" for the number of small parts that can be printed and still maintain the structural bond between layers. That number is going to greatly depend upon the design of your part. I have enclosed my M200 to help with this.  I print one part that is 6.5mm in diameter x 50.4mm tall and I can only print 4 at a time but I also have a 9mm wide x 19mm tall part that I can print 12 at a time and still be precise and structurally sound. You'd need to test a bit to find your sweet spot with your part but if it's only 5mm tall I'd bet you could do a lot more on an M200 than you currently can.

Had a customer just pick up his print order and we talked about printers. He mentioned he had an Afinia taz 4 printer and like the quality of the prints. Which I would say the prints aren't that good if I just printed 20 units for him. 

Granted there was a minor imperfection on the surface of my prints because of going around holes but needed to print with no support to make the interior smooth, so it actually came out great and every print looked exactly the same whether printed single or printed a few at a time. To me that is quality. 

Says something for a Taz owner to pay for a Zortrax print. 

Luckily for me he's a 3d designer and will be using each others services for time to come. 

Here's the small parts I'm printing and their "optimum" group size based upon my testing.  Z-ABS @ .29

Had a customer just pick up his print order and we talked about printers. He mentioned he had an Afinia taz 4 printer 

Taz is from Lulzbot, not Afinia. Afinia sells one printer, the Up Plus 2, which they call the "480". It is closer to M200 in features and print quality than to Lulzbot.

Hmmm. I guess I heard him wrong. No wonder I couldn’t find it in the search engines. Lmao. Thanks!!