this is really a disaster

so my stepper motors have been skipping and knocking the print out of alignment,,,u posted the problem in another post and i was given a link on how to fix it, i removed both motors and checked the screws and they were nice and tight...i tightened the screws and made sure the belts were tight and then i moved on to the second step , that was to make sure the other screws were tight, the ones not on or near the motor, but the ones that are near the belts in the 4 corners....when i went to see if they were tight it seems that whoever assembled this machine stripped every single of those screws to the point where they cant be tightened or loosened...this is a f-ing disaster...not only does this leave me with no way to see if loose screws were the problem, but no way for me to ever fix this by myself without having to ship this machine ...this is a complete disaster and assembly with total disregard for whoever was unlucky enough to receive this machine...does zortrax have a solution to this without me being without a machine for god know how long?>

does zortrax have a solution to this without me being without a machine for god know how long?>

Please “Submit a request” with full description of your problem here: http://support.zortrax.com/hc/en-us

Forum is not intended as any technical support and modifications/repairs done without support technician assistance can void your warranty.

Best Regards

I have also had some issues with stripped screws on the machine causing issues. One thing to check need more options is that your allen wrench is not stripped... Low quality allen wrenches like the ones shipped with the zortrax can have major issues. I do think zortrax should watch a little closer on assembly, seeing as how two members have had this issue (not sure how common it really is)

I do think zortrax should watch a little closer on assembly.

This is why only support ticket request can help for customer and for us, without serial number provided for support person we have no chance to track your printer assembly history.

Best Regards

I had this happening to me as well, just after a month and half after I received the printer and with very few prints done. I did also notice that some of the tiny screws on the pulleys are super tight and the wrench seem to have no effect no matter how much strenght would be applied. Fortunately and thru support I resolved the problem disasembling the Y motor which indeed had loose screws....but yes certainly I wasnt expecting that to happen right after that shot time and little usage. Assembly definitely requires more attention.

its not a cheap allen wrench, its obvious as soon as you insert the wrench that the screws are stripped and not a little stripped but they are completely stripped to the point that they are basically circles with zero ability for the wrench to grip he slightest bit..i insert the wrench and can spin it in the socket with two fingers, and its not just one screw but every single one of them..

if i had to guess id bet that the factory in china uses an electronic or pneumatic driver to set the screws in an attempt to speed up manufacturing when they should have used something more gentle.

if not by hand and they insisted on using an automatic tool of some sort to set the screws there should have been a tension setting to avoid this but it seems they had no such safety feature and assembled the machine with such disregard as to strip every single screw to the point of the allen screw becoming a complete circle....this is a huge F U  to anyone who might be unlucky enough to get the machine because once the screw is this stripped i cant imagine what can be done other than send the machine back...this is a huge problem for me not only because ill be out of a printer for weeks, but i honestly dont feel comfortable sending the machine back to them...

.if the people running the factory were stupid and careless enough to purposely let this happen, i worry about sending my machine back to these same people for a repair...i suspect they will be very rough in handling my machine in getting these stripped screws out and i fear my machine will never be the same again and i might open a huge can of worms and get a machine back thats worse than the one i sent them...i really dont know what to do.

For 3x if

3x not

You should contact with support in first place when problems happen which everyone should doing for example with my car I call service center if something is wrong instead doing it myself using hammer and incorrect toolset mainly will end up with canceled warranty not with rights to complaints.

Seriously I know this is just internet but you put here just if’s and insults - use your anger power to describe so hard as possible your problem for support technician.

Prepare for support some pictures\movie which showing problem, describe it so much as possible, remember to provide your serial number and hardware version, order number and date when you received printer is also use full, describe what you have done already and then customer support will try to solve it so hard as possible first without sending printer back then if must then must… but mainly design was with keep in mind that everything can be repaired by customer.

Best Regards

I also noticed, that the delivered allen wrenches are not of the best quality. I had some small pulley screws which seemed to be stripped, when I used this allen wrenches. But when I tried to open them with my more expensive ones, they came out easy. So don’t worry, I guess you will not have to send the printer bag. There are also several ways to open stripped screws.

You can also use a small Torx bits to get stripped allen heads out.. I have done it many times..

yes that was the problem, i used another set of allen keys are i was able to tighten them, it wasnt easy because they were severely stripped and i think i can only tighten these screws once or twice more before they are shot..i think i am going to ask for new screws so i can replace them while i still have the chance, on a positive note after tightening everything the machine is now running great and i just completed a 24 hour print with no problem...i am working on a personal art project where i am 3d printing animal skulls and embelishing them..the prints are very large and so far so good.

If you get new set screws try this link.. Box of 100 for about $5. If you are in the us of course.. https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_set_screws_Allen_Cup_point_Class_14.9_steel_black_oil_finish_3mm_x_0.5mm.aspx

Along the same lines…….. I took delivery of 2 new M200s yesterday (v03) and had one fail with grub screw issues within hours of starting the first job.  My initial M200 (v02) had issues within the first couple days as well.  Obviously grub screws needs attention from manufacturing and perhaps the design team?  Who wants my serial numbers to followup with production?

mess.JPG

Along the same lines…….. I took delivery of 2 new M200s yesterday (v03) and had one fail with grub screw issues within hours of starting the first job.  My initial M200 (v02) had issues within the first couple days as well.  Obviously grub screws needs attention from manufacturing and perhaps the design team?  Who wants my serial numbers to followup with production?

attachicon.gifmess.JPG

http://support.zortrax.com/hc/en-us or just PM it to me.

Is your grub screws are small 1.5 or bigger as M3 ? Theoretically with v03 hardware this two pulleys which mainly create problems should be glued using Loctite at production stage and every printer is tested 12h before leave factory.

Please send your serial number into support this will give for us possibility to find out who and why skipped tightening and Loctite step.

Best Regards

Martin ~ The grub screws required an M2 and several did have evidence (blue) that they were loctited. I did NOT discover that they had loosened. What I did find when trying to move the gantry to gain access to the screws was that the gantry was extremely hard to move (much more so than the other M200s I have on site). I've greased the rods and am trying to print again but it's groaning a lot. I'm hoping the grease works in and it moves smoothly again.  Anything else I can adjust or check to verify that everything is in alignment and working properly?  Any possibility of motor damage during the 14 hour job when it failed?

@DavidBarwin

Shifting problem can happen only from place where are double pulleys near to X and near to Y motor.

This is the pulley which can cause problems for Y (front/back moves)

http://support.zortrax.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200369831/50o.jpg

And for X (left\rightmoves ) is located at right side (pulley which is connected with belt).

Screws at this two pulleys need to be tightened so hard as possible.

Only this two pulleys can cause layers displacement, then tightening of it should help if this is repeatable problem then Loctite should be used for glue pulley to smooth rod (yes this is kind of bushy level but sometimes simplest solutions give best result for complicated problem). This is why I wrote about Loctite because currently Loctite is applied at place between pulley and smooth rod which also solved problems of some machines with “clicking” pulley.

Best Regards

Thank you Martin. You were correct and the X gear  (top right) closest the frame had a grub screw that was loose (difficult to access but doable with patience). It took several complete turns to get the screw to bite so I'm thinking production hadn't tightened initially (sending you serial number). It doesn't "appear" to have loctite so I will monitor it and if it backs out again I will apply.  I'm still a little concerned about how hard the gantry is to move compared to my other M200s. That's got to apply extra stress to the motors, gears and grub screws. 

Kind Regards

I have noticed similar issue on one v3 printer today, first it shifted pretty bad, then I dissasemble and retight every screw but I have noticed that with printer off the gantry is harder than my other V2.