Toothbrush Holder - Fail

Hi Everyone,

I designed a toothbrush holder that I'm having trouble printing. It's got some rather aggressive overhangs, which printed fine for the first 1cm or so (Z-Axis) and then they started getting rather sloppy.

2014-06-16 21.12.30.jpg

I used the following settings, hoping to minimize the amount of support required: ABS, 0.14mm, Full Infill, 10% Support, 100% Fan, Yes Avoid Holes, 6 Top Layers, 6 Bottom Layers, 0 offsets. Also, I had the printer enclosed on 3 sides.

After this print, I cleaned and re-leveled the bed (though I don't think these were the cause of my problems). I then did another print of a different file after this with the same material and it printed flawlessly, so I don't think the problem is the filament or the machine.

I'm guessing the problem is with my print settings. Does anyone with experience printing aggressive overhangs have suggestions on what to change?

Thanks,

-J

I will try that. I wanted to use as little support as needed, since the part is so small.

Do overhangs print better with thinner layers, or thicker layers? I thought that thinner layers would handle the overhang better, but I was going to try .39mm as well.

Unfortunately, I just broke some blades on the heat sync fan! No more printing for me until I get that replaced.

Thanks,

-J

I will try that. I wanted to use as little support as needed, since the part is so small.

Do overhangs print better with thinner layers, or thicker layers? I thought that thinner layers would handle the overhang better, but I was going to try .39mm as well.

Unfortunately, I just broke some blades on the heat sync fan! No more printing for me until I get that replaced.

Thanks,

-J

I'm going to have to say thinner layers.. Just swap fans and print a new blade assembly for the bottom one..http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36223

I assumed thinner layers as well, which is why I started at .14mm. I'm going to try some variations and see what works well.

As expected, .39mm layer height was an even worse failure. I'm trying again with .14mm layers and 40degree support. We'll see how it turns out in 8 hours!

Can't wait to see it..

I bet will be fine.

toro_03.jpg

toro_08.jpg

toro_06.jpg

toro_01.jpg

(I don't remenber the specs... this was a couple of months ago)

So, I printed at .14mm with 40deg support and it was smooth... however I've spent 90 minutes trying to get the support material removed and I've still got some cleanup to do. Unfortunately, the finished part cracked in 3 places (where the spirals meet the top and bottom rims). This could be improved with the design though - the transitions could be smoothed out here.

Photos to follow.

Ok - I finished cleaning up the piece. This included solvent welding the 3 places where the print cracked while removing support.

Unfortunately, there are still a few places I couldn't clean up great. One of the legs I hit with the heat gun for two long and it appears to be weak permanently (it bends by hand, un-like the other two). Also I left it in the acetone bath a bit too long, so it was VERY soft.

Overall, it's a fun design but a bit too delicate. I'm working on a more robust version.

2014-06-20 02.10.26.jpg

2014-06-21 20.29.41.jpg

2014-06-21 20.30.59.jpg

Hi there! If you're interested in finding the best toothbrush-holder on the market, I'd recommend checking that link: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/toothbrush-holder-2508.html'>http://www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/toothbrush-holder-2508.html</a>. It really help me chose the ideal solution for my place.