Visible toolpaths

This days I’ve been working/playing with my printers and so far I am pretty happy with the results, I only have a question about the results.

In the next image you can see the bottom face of a print which needed support, you can see the toolpaths and many areas which need more material and where the infill is faulty.

While, the opposite face was perfect:

I like the way the visible (top) surface is enhanced (2nd image), but I would like to see the same quality on the other side of the prints. From my point of view, this is the nearly the only missing detail to obtain perfect parts.

@Zortrax team, I think this may be solved by decreasing the distance between lines in the supported faces, would it be useful if I take some measurements using a microscope to determine the exact distance to reduce this effect? or are you already working on it?

Is that Z-ABS? It looks too shiny.

@ACC

It is not about top/bottom infill issue this lines give a possibility to easily break away support without damaging model, just in case as on your model it is visible more than it should be.

Supported side can be smoother but is hard to do it so perfect as top surface (more like a surface which have contact with break away raft), currently we are so overloaded that I even cannot imagine when we can tune it.

Best Regards

Thats very interesting, so my understanding if this model had been printed the other side up with support the surface would have had the smooth finish. Would incorporating another object above add support that would improve the finish ?

Or have I got that idea totally wrong :rolleyes:

The side on the first pic was on the bottom…with support. He printed it like a bowl.

That’s why the inside looks good and the outside doesn’t. I agree with ACC that this does not look very good.

I hate to say this but prints on the UP look much better on the support side. :expressionless:

Especially the swirly infills are tighter together on the UP…on the pics here these infills look kinda “sloppy”.

Martin, will that maybe look better when printed with a smaller resolution?

[quote name=Andre]The first pick was on the bottom…with support. He printed it like a bowl.

That’s why the inside looks good and the outside doesn’t. I agree with ACC that this does not look very good.

I hate to say this but prints on the UP look much better on the support side. :expressionless:
[/quote]

By comparing macro pictures from this topic :slight_smile: Everything is depend on part bottom side angle and features size.

Yes… That’s all I have for now. :wink:

I have to give you that. Ok, I’ll wait until I have my printer. :smiley:

Thank you for the answer, it’s ok, I just wanted to know the reason of those lines, I have no problem hith that, I will print the visible side of the prints on top, also, I found that this toolpaths are visible only for faces whith inclination angles below 7 degrees. I think it’s a clever way to solve the problem of suport adhession.

Regards.

Wow, that sure does look nasty. I purchased my M200 on Monday by the way, so I am no longer just a lurker :slight_smile:

I guess for now this is how you have to print something like this?

Dhatw.

I think it would have looked better if he printed it with the other side down. You’re using Zsuite 0.0.2 right?

Doesn’t really look much different to what I would expect to see from an UP. Given that you are using .2mm. Higher resolution will improve this somewhat, and perhaps the Zortrax team will refine the process further in future updates.

I wouldn’t print it the other way unless you have to have that side looking as good as possible. You will have lots of support to remove otherwise.

If you want, I’ll print on my Afinia (Up! Plus) with the same layer height and post the results.

@dhatw Don’t be scared, that part has a diameter of only 40mm , I used a macro lens to get that detail, this is not really visible, but because I have been working with 3d printers for some years, this are the kind of things I look for when buying a new one.

@The6guest I am using zSuite 0.0.2

I am not worried for the final quality, it’s proven good, There is nothing that a little of acetone couldn’t fix!!!

Ok… I take everything back. I did not realize this thing is only 40mm.

Can’t wait to do some experiments!!! :smiley:

[quote name=ACC]@dhatw Don’t be scared, that part has a diameter of only 40mm , I used a macro lens to get that detail, this is not really visible, but because I have been working with 3d printers for some years, this are the kind of things I look for when buying a new one.

@The6guest I am using zSuite 0.0.2

I am not worried for the final quality, it’s proven good, There is nothing that a little of acetone couldn’t fix!!!
[/quote]

Okay, I do feel a lot better now

Thank you for pointing that out.

Dhatw.

So how was this printed?

http://zortrax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33

How is bottom so smooth on both parts?

Because bottom is flat.