Wall thickness, layer thickness, and infill

By the way, did anybody more than test printing, meaning printing just a few layers, in a certain - drawn - thickness ?

What I mean is, the objects I printed with a drawn thickness suffered from poor surfaces. The surfaces printed with "mesh" (no thickness in drawing) are excellent and about 0,9mm thick.

Did anybody try the 0,9mm drawn thickness with any infill and what were the results?

regards

Andi

What program are you using to make parts? Z-Suite does a pretty good job of showing you what your print is going to look like; if it looks rough with polygon-shaped peaks, your mesh isn't fine enough. 

Rhino 3D augmented by Netfabb. You mean, if I increase density of the mesh of a wall of certain thickness the resulting surface will be better?

regards

Andi

Rhino 3D augmented by Netfabb. You mean, if I increase density of the mesh of a wall of certain thickness the resulting surface will be better?

regards

Andi

Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you meant the surface of a thick part. If a surface for a very thin part is turning out poorly, it is probably too thin. As we found out above, the printer will not print less than two layers, so any thinner than 0.8 means that it is trying to print two layers on top of one-another (hence the poor finish). Make sure your wall is at least 0.8mm for a good finish. 

Ok, thank you. 

regards

Andi

Hi guys,

tried the "shell" option in "advanced settings" on a simple cylinder. Wall is in made in one pass, in a rather slow pace, thickness ~0,6mm, surface excellent :)

Disadvantage of "shell" is that it cannot print - more or less - horizontal surfaces. They result in a kind of grid.

Now what would be great ist to tell the "mesh" button - which is capable to print horizontal surfaces - to print walls in one pass.

Or to tell the "shell" option to make horizontal surfaces.

regards

Andi