Wall thickness?

I was curios about how small walls we could do and also when two or three shells bind together properly. So i did this frames and 0.4, 0,6 and 0,8 all came out the same 1.1mm and walls is fused togheter. 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 leaves a gap between the two shells. And 1.6 was filled with zigzag pattern and fused together properly.

I don’t know if this is intended that smallest wall we can do shall be 1.1mm in reality?

Thanks Rik for the information :smiley:

The nozzle width is 0.4mm. I’m no slicer or FDM expert, but I think for adhesion between layers, there has to be some smooshing or flattening of the layer being extruded into the layer beneath it, which results in the bead getting wider. It looks like your tests 1mm and below all have two perimeters, which would mean that the layers are being flattened to about 0.55mm each, which sounds reasonable. I would think that single-perimeter printing is theoretically possible with the Zortrax, which would yield a 0.5 - 0.55 thickness.

The gaps being left between perimeters in your thicker tests are annoying; I think there are explanations for why this is a necessary evil but I hope the smart guys of Zortrax can improve it.

Julia, I think you can create smaller lines than 0.4 dia by moving the head faster than the extrusion speed.

Martin Olchanowski has replied that "

We can make any line size from 0.4-1.5mm using 0.4mm nozzle because extrusion speed + speed of flow = line width

Best Regards

"

You should search instead of creating new topics: http://zortrax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21

If the printer does not create 0.4-1.5 I think they will improve it but how long till it’s available?

Here is an exemple of my print “fractal bracelet”. We clearly can see the walls (around 0.5mm) and division in between.

I eventually could seperate the 2 and made 2 bracelets.

I guess the program wants to do 2 lines as a minimum… So around 1mm is the smallest wall. The next smallest would be 0.4 - 0.5… with one line. Values between 0.5 and 1 would need like half overlapping layers… Don’t know if that’s possible.