Warped Print Bed, Stringiness and Rough Areas Under Supports?

I've been experiencing some warping on the left-hand side (look straight on) of the heated print bed. A few observations:

1. The filament is laid down evenly to the left of center, yet is sporadically sticking on the right side.

2. After about an hour I'll check the print and notice that the left side of the support base has warped upwards.

3. Attempting to print multiple objects is causing stringiness between the two islands and small bumpy pits on the surface of the models. I'm sure this must have something to do with the bed not being perfectly flat?

4. I typically have been printing with light supports, however, they are a beast to remove and the area is requiring crazy amounts of cleanup. How are others working around this?

I've attached images that clearly show the finish of the plate once pieces are pried off. You can see the melted filament in the perforated holes to the right of center, but none to the left.

I also used a perfectly flat ruler and tried to shoot at a glancing angle to show the bow on the print bed itself.

Hoping this is easily fixed by a platform replacement VS calibration.

-Steve

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

Seems to be mostly a bed level/flatness issue, especially in light of no plastic in the perfboard holes on the left. There are some notes in the tech support section of the Z website related to this kind of issue; a perfboard replacement is probably not necessary.

The stringing most likely has nothing to do with the adhesion/levelness issue; it's a material/slicer/temperature kind of thing.

Support removal is mostly a matter of practice, perseverance, and the right tools. That said, bed level/flatness can affect it, since easy removal often depends on precise Z-axis positioning - if you've got a layer that's higher than where the slicer expects it to be, subsequent layers are going to be mushed/welded into it.

Thx for the quick reply Julia. Any idea why the left side base support consistently warps? I'd like to not have to go through the whole process of calibration unless absolutely necessary.

Hello,

Your last two pictures remind me of a problem on the heated perfeboard, I had this problem before. Now I make this procedure (http://support.zortrax.com/platform-maintenance/) once a week and it happens much less often.

Hello,

Your last two pictures remind me of a problem on the heated perfeboard, I had this problem before. Now I make this procedure (http://support.zortrax.com/platform-maintenance/) once a week and it happens much less often.

Thanks for the link Minanga, I will perform this procedure and report back my results!

I happy to report that after doing the perf board maintenance and auto calibration, the base is no longer warping off the left-hand side and the filament is evenly dispersed as expected! It appears that the perf board was bowed outward enough that was preventing it from making contact with the heated bed, causing the filament not to remain molten enough to stick.

Thanks again for the speedy suggestions and link to the proper maintenance link!

-Steve