What about an self autoclean disposal for the noozle ?

Hi,

My nozzle is always dirty. This is problematic because it regularly drips black... (see photo).

Could you imagine a little sponge located in a top corner of the frame where the nozzle could regularly (once each 5 minutes for example) come to rub itself while printing ?

Thanks for reading this. More thanks for considering my idea :)

Zordroid.

That is a good idea, I know of a major brand starting with an S that does that. A dual nozzle machine that extrudes a little between layers support/build material and at the same time moves the nozzles through some type of wire brush. Don't know if there's a patent for that, the comapny in question does have some to it's name and isn't fearful of using lawyers ;)

Really ? Wow, thanks !

I was not aware of this. I imagined this kind of solution while using my soldering station where I have a sponge to clean my iron.

Would be interesting to verify the existence of any patent for a 3D printer.

I use a brass wire brush to clean my nozzle.

I still can't imagine it dripping black in the middle of a white print unless it was on the outside of the nozzle or whether it is just burnt white filament

It occured while my nozzle touched a corner of my print that warped detaching itself from the raft.

Then, there was a lot of filament everywhere. My noozle and my hotend became dirty with burnt ABS...

On the photos you will see a burnt filament traped into the layers and a dirty drip near the Z hole. These photos where at the opposite side of the lifted angle.

Hopefully, my printer is now clean (with the help of my new best friend Acetone). I didn't tried to print anything else. I am waiting for the 0.0.9.7 announced on march 16th as fixing the warping detaching from raft problem (http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/tracker/issue-16-support-lifting-from-raft/)

It occured while my nozzle touched a corner of my print that warped detaching itself from the raft.

Then, there was a lot of filament everywhere. My noozle and my hotend became dirty with burnt ABS...

On the photos you will see a burnt filament traped into the layers and a dirty drip near the Z hole. These photos where at the opposite side of the lifted angle.

Hopefully, my printer is now clean (with the help of my new best friend Acetone). I didn't tried to print anything else. I am waiting for the 0.0.9.7 announced on march 16th as fixing the warping detaching from raft problem (http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/tracker/issue-16-support-lifting-from-raft/)

Like Heavenly said, it sounds like you just need a brass brush. A couple seconds of brushing after each print keeps it sparkly clean. 

I would really like to see a software based solution for the string that hangs down every time a print starts. The stepper should retract slowly to avoid the string.

I always pull it away by hand right before the z calibration.

Well, there is a solution to that. It prints a small line on the outside of the raft before it starts to print.

"Edit"

But it already smushes that string onto your heater block when it does the Z cal...

I clean it once it starts traveling, but by the time it hits the plate there's already some oozing out. This leaves a thread of plastic that can mess up the raft if not removed. A retraction while sitting/zeroing would make things a LOT easier - click print and walk away.