z axis confused

For some reason the z axis (bed) does not seem to know where it is in relation to the print head, on print start, the bed lowers to several inches below the print head, and the head starts printing, tried auto calibration, same issues, the head is inches away from the bed and the bed bounces to try to make contact with the head. The head thinks the bed is close when it is not, moved the bed close to the head, no difference, on start the bed lowers, away from the head. Tried restarting several times.

Sounds like a short in the sensor cable to the build plate making the system think it has touched the nozzle to build plate, re-seat connector on build plate.

Thanks for the idea, I re-seated both connections, no luck, this happened once before, but I don't recall what fixed it. I think, just a couple of restarts, but not helping this time.

Another shorted bed I suspect. Try removing the screws from the perfboard and just let it sit there. 

I'll give that a try, thanks.  Also, the print head never touches the print bed, the bed just seems like it does not know where it is in relation to the head, before I manually moved the bed up, it headed to the bottom, where is made a clicking sound, like to was trying to go lower but ran out of room/hit the bottom.

When the nozzle touches the bed it grounds, that's how it detects the Z home position. If it is seeing the bed grounded it continues to move the bed down until it doesn't. That, I believe, is what you and many others are seeing.

Please report back if it works.

I'll give that a try, thanks.  Also, the print head never touches the print bed, the bed just seems like it does not know where it is in relation to the head, before I manually moved the bed up, it headed to the bottom, where is made a clicking sound, like to was trying to go lower but ran out of room/hit the bottom.

I've seen a similar problem (bed goes down instead of up) caused by a bad connection to the z-axis stepper motor. In my case it was caused by a contact in the stepper motor connector not having been inserted fully in its housing.

I'm back in business, thank you so much.  Opened the bottom, re-seated all cables, and she came back on online.