Z-GLASS and Z-HIPS test prints

HI all

Here the first samples of new materials.

Z-GLASS

.19 layer height, Z-team please add 0.29 and 0.39 since this layer heights will increase trasnparency

so far aceton vapor does not have effect in adding trasnparency.

Maybe XTC-3d will as soon as it arrives we will post if it does make a difference.

The feel of this material is very near to acrylic, wich has some elasticity but it's brittle.

[url=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4793_zps4e35934d.jpg.html]DSCN4793_zps4e35934d.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4804_zpsd170cbaf.jpg.html]DSCN4804_zpsd170cbaf.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4800_zps70e73cc9.jpg.html]DSCN4800_zps70e73cc9.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4801_zpsc5e06812.jpg.html]DSCN4801_zpsc5e06812.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4795_zps815a8d61.jpg.html]DSCN4795_zps815a8d61.jpg[/URL]

Z-HIPS BLACK

0.19 also, so far looks perfect very low warping.

[URL=http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/mmaxds/media/DSCN4798_zps14d48617.jpg.html]DSCN4798_zps14d48617.jpg[/URL]

share your thoughts

Your Z-HIPS black looks a lot like Z-Glass ahntlia haha

Just realize, and changed the picture LOL

It is possible to change type of material when we printing raft? For example. I use Z-ABS to printing raft and Z-HIPS for rest model?

Ahntlia, how does Z-Glass look with light behind it?  The finish looks like a good material to make ornaments with.  :P

It is possible to change type of material when we printing raft? For example. I use Z-ABS to printing raft and Z-HIPS for rest model?

You can add a pause right after the raft prints but the profile for ABS and HIPS are different so I don't know how well it would print.

The level of trasnparency is low, as I stated before z team needs to add .29 and .39 layer heights because as it happens with T-glase you need thicker layers and also a more circular form, I will try increasing the nozzle diameter just for testing next week and see how it turns out.

About the pause and material change, we first need to know the temperatures for each material because it might work but if you have certain geometries particullary support it can be impossible to remove.

Ahntlia, how does Z-Glass look with light behind it?  The finish looks like a good material to make ornaments with.  :P

You can add a pause right after the raft prints but the profile for ABS and HIPS are different so I don't know how well it would print.

@RafaÅ‚  â€¦ @nizzy … any idea how to change printing profile?

@Ahntlia: there's something I've never seen before in a zortrax's print: spider net like filament residues during fast movements.

@Zortrax Team: By doublechecking the 0.0.9.5 z-suite why the "Prevent Holes" feature is missing?

@Zortrax Team: By doublechecking the 0.0.9.5 z-suite why the "Prevent Holes" feature is missing?

It was "Avoid Holes", not "Prevent Holes". I finally learned what this feature was: I think it prevented the nozzle from passing over any holes (screw holes or other openings in the model) during its normal travel. The toolpath would be generated so that it would always go around any holes, to avoid any stray strings from going over the hole. I think it caused some slicer crashes (and of course it increased print time) so maybe that's why it was removed; of limited usefulness anyway, imo.

@Ahntlia: there's something I've never seen before in a zortrax's print: spider net like filament residues during fast movements.

I thinks this spider net is due to material, I have never experienced this on any othe material.

We have seen stringing before in various version of Z-Suite and Z-ABS. Profile probably just needs a little tuning.

But certainly some materials have more of a tendency to stringing than others.

Also noticed in Z-suite that when you change "Printing Profile" from Z-ABS to anything else, it changes "surface Layers" from 4 down to 3.. Never goes back to 4 even on ABS profile. Just something to check if you want 4 layers on top and bottom.

You're right Julia, that was avoid holes. It was a quite useful feature to have clean printed parts and I always used it. Where small deep holes or hard to reach internal empty areas are present it will make hard to the remove those stringings and overall look of the printed piece might be affected. I checked in 0.0.9.1 and it doesen't affect print time at all, just one minute faster in a 6hrs complex job so I hope Zortrax will reintroduce it.

"Avoid holes" is now always turned on, we removed an option to turning it off. We want to make Z-Suite as simple as possible with the best effects witch all default settings (with reasonable printing time) - thats why we changed "surface layers" defaults.

Any feedback is appreciated - we will check what we can do with issues you described here.

"Avoid holes" is now always turned on, we removed an option to turning it off. We want to make Z-Suite as simple as possible with the best effects witch all default settings (with reasonable printing time) - thats why we changed "surface layers" defaults.

Any feedback is appreciated - we will check what we can do with issues you described here.

Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see more user control rather than less.

I can understand pulling useless features (perhaps what you guys are calling "shell" falls under that category...?) But I don't understand forcing features that increase print-time or caused possible slicer issues. Now, speaking of user-control... When are we gonna get nozzle and bed temp-control?

It's a tricky one, more control versus less control. I've found frustrations with both approaches. On the UM2 using either Cura or Simplify3D you can change EVERYTHING to the point it becomes overwhelming, particularly because many of the variables are interrelated and different for each material. Material feed rate, nozzle temperature, retraction (distance and speed), coast and about 100 others!!! Right now I'm enjoying the 'no options' approach, and just pressing the print button and walking away. I actually don't want to become an expert at 3D printing. Like if I buy a car I just want to press the go or stop peddle. I want someone else to have worked out the rest. All I want is my part spat out reliably, accurately and with the minimum amount of effort. So far this is largely what the Zortrax experience has given me. The problem with giving users more control is that it gives them more opportunity of getting it wrong (and right). For example when users talk about using non Zortrax filaments (this is not aimed at anyone) and have issues with them, I absolutely don't think Zortrax should try to resolve these issues. That's the whole point of a closed system. It's the Z teams job to support products within their own eco system, but if they try to debug other filaments then it takes their attention away from supporting and improving their own hardware, software and materials. When you buy an M200 you know you're buying into a closed system. If you want to do lots of experimenting then users should buy a UM2 or something similar. (I'm going to sell mine if anyone is interested). We already have repeated threads about how much fan to use etc.I know it's not the subject of the thread but it crops up because it is something we can change (I've been responsible for at least one). I'm definitely not in favour of giving users many more control options. If we have a problem with how a part prints then the Z-team are there to debug that for us for the benefit of everyone. On balance I'm enjoying the closed approach much more because I can concentrate on designing and can forget about the rest. Although I have just made a note in another thread about having adjustable bed temperatures, which I now feel I've just talked myself out of :lol:

One could have both things, just by placing an "Advanced Settings" button anyhwere. All more technical options can hide behind this button and the interface will keep clean and simple.

However Zortrax may want to hide these options to prevent people complaining of problems that would not arise if managed automatically.

Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see more user control rather than less.

I can understand pulling useless features (perhaps what you guys are calling "shell" falls under that category...?) But I don't understand forcing features that increase print-time or caused possible slicer issues. Now, speaking of user-control... When are we gonna get nozzle and bed temp-control?

Keep dreaming :)

@MechInnovation - you’re the first person which understand in 101% our point of view :slight_smile:

Haha. It’s maybe because I’ve seen and experienced the other extreme in open source.