A couple of questions.

1. If I run out of filament during an unattended print, does the M200 pause the printer to allow you to replace the cartridge?

2. Is it possible to somehow control the printer via network connection on say a smart phone? I would only want to monitor a print with an external webcam and stop the printer in case something goes wrong.

Thanks, Dhatw.

that’s a good question : how is managed the end of filament ? How to know if there is enough filament to finish the printing ?

That would be great, Rafal. That is a good idea !

[quote name=Rafal Tomasiak][quote=pilou74]that’s a good question : how is managed the end of filament ? How to know if there is enough filament to finish the printing ?
[/quote]

I think the best solution will be if we add this option to the Z-Suite. You will put a new information when you change the filament spool and type value how many ABS you add 1kg, 0,5kg spool etc. Software for each print will subtract the weight of the printed object from the value at the weight of the material.

Best Regards,

Rafal
[/quote]

If you add that to Z-Suite, Rafal, please make it possible to disable it. The Up has this feature, and while it sounds good, in practice it can be annoying. I change filament often and I never remember/bother to weigh each spool or reset the counter, and eventually I start a print and 20 minutes later I wonder why it’s not printing and it’s because the software thinks there’s not enough. With experience you can usually see visually whether or not there’s enough filament to finish your part. If I see it’s marginal I just keep an eye on it via webcam. If it runs out, the Up has a pause feature where you can stop the print (it lowers the bed a little) and change spools, then resume.

julia

Thank you Julia, I don’t have any experience yet but I see what you mean. That is why I was hoping there was a mechanical “pause” switch or such. I have seen a printer with a micro switch that “opens” when no filament is present and pauses the print.

Dhatw.

I have many almost empty spools.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the remaining fillament.  But I'd also Like to know what the weight of an empty spool actually is and if it's different from the various Z fillaments?

Just have to keep an eye on it. During printing you may always hit pause button and change filament.

I read also - but that's hard one :) - about glueing old filament end to the beginning of a new one

1. No

1. Yes, soon we’ll start work on it.

Best Regards,

Rafal

Lets correct this statement:

1. No

2. They have been promising stuff like this since kickstarter so don't buy the machine expecting to see it anytime soon. And if I am not mistaken there is some posts about how there is no longer wifi modules in some of the newer machines.

I have many almost empty spools.  I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the remaining fillament.  But I'd also Like to know what the weight of an empty spool actually is and if it's different from the various Z fillaments?

I weight one of my empty spools on a postal scale and got 176 g, but that's just a sample of 1.

If you have access to a scale why not just weigh your own empties?  And if you don't have a scale, knowing the empty weight won't do you much good.

Wouldn't be the best solution to have a small microswitch at the end of the filament tube which detects missing filament and then pauses the machine?

Just a microswitch and a "guard my filamant" button in a small housing should do the trick right? Hook it up to the pause button and done.

When your print starts activate the button, when changing filament deactivate.

Might need a bit of electronics to make sure the button is only pressed once.

The image is a bit large but you get the picture :)

704571_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg