A few questions before a possible purchase.

I’ve been following this forum for a while, and have been impressed by the quality of the prints from the Zortrax even at this early stage of software development.

I’m thinking of possibly buying one, but have a few questions. I’m figuring that if the Zortrax cant do what I require, there probably arent any other additive 3D printers that can mange it.

As you can see from the attached image, I’m interested in fractal and geometrical based 3D prints and was wondering how well the Zortrax copes with bridging. I know there is a general 45 degree rule in 3D printing, but I’ve seen plenty of evidence that can be broken. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b6hFFcLh_Q

It would be nice to be able to print the type of shapes in the attached render (albeit optimized and re-orientated), with a minimum of support.

The prints will range from a few cm across to close to the full build volume in some cases, BUT I’m also wondering what the thinest wall width is the Zoratax can print? I’m particularly interested in the translucent properties of the ABS as some of the sculptures will have interior LED lighting. Strength will only be of secondary concern.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzvfkoxosl1iwi7/Concepts.jpg

Thanks.

Hey. Picture doesn’t show up… Strange…

Just changed to Dropbox. Link seems ok now.

WOw !! That’s beautiful !!!

but, honestly, this, you will not be able to print on the Zortrax M200… This is clearly more the SLA technology…

I was hoping that, maybe not those particular designs, but at least something similar. If its possible to print something like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35933/#made

why not something a little more complex on a well setup and adjusted printer ?

Because support material will be nightmare to remove.

Wow, that bridge video is cool! I hope the Zortrax will get this feature in the future. :slight_smile:

As for those other objects you would like to make, it would be difficult with the current software because there would be a lot of support material to remove and small parts could break. If they have a dual-extruder option in the future it would be better to have soluble filament for support for intricate models.

[quote name=Iona]I’ve been following this forum for a while, and have been impressed by the quality of the prints from the Zortrax even at this early stage of software development.

I’m thinking of possibly buying one, but have a few questions. I’m figuring that if the Zortrax cant do what I require, there probably arent any other additive 3D printers that can mange it.

As you can see from the attached image, I’m interested in fractal and geometrical based 3D prints and was wondering how well the Zortrax copes with bridging.

[/quote]

Currently no any bridging in our software due of in first stage we concentrate about mechanical parts and as called rapid prototyping of mechanical parts where bridges can mess whole part dimension and create impossible to put together assemblies, so as today support is created at every overhang.

For fractal art printing and very thin walled structures soon we want to offer different material than Z-ABS but looking at pictures of concepts which you shown it looks as you need industrial resin or powder printer for create such of thin walled shapes.

The best if you can send to me one model which you want to print, you can send link to my PM or support@zortrax.com

Best Regards

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a dual extruder with a soluble filament for support.

Martin, I might take you up on your offer to print something. I’m also very interested to know what material you come up with for thin wall structures. I know you are currently working on a Polycarbonate.

So currently the Zotrax software doesn’t support bridging at all, without support ? … any idea when might be available ?

Probably never, due of bridges are just a imitation of support which doing job much better I waiting until ‘bridged’ bridge finish here then I can upload pictures of bridge with support and bridge ‘bridged’ (printed on some PLA printer).

Best Regards

Print from some ‘popular’ PLA printer with ‘bridges’ as support.

http://i60.tinypic.com/nvccpi.jpg

Same part printed with Zortrax Z-ABS and break away support.

http://i57.tinypic.com/x0wwhi.jpg

Best Regards

Thats an impressive difference. I’ve emailed you a link to a .stl file you might like to try.

Yes, there’s no doubt that printing with support creates better parts, but sometimes there are places where support is difficult to remove. In those cases it would be nice to have a bridge feature. This heart box for example would have support on the inside which is hard to remove.

I know the Zortrax team is hard working on critical updates now, but if possible this would be a nice future update. :slight_smile:

I’d agree with that. I assume all bridging requires is ability to slow the print-head down and reduce the flow of the filament slightly in the appropriate places ?

[quote name=The6uest]Yes, there’s no doubt that printing with support creates better parts, but sometimes there are places where support is difficult to remove. In those cases it would be nice to have a bridge feature. This heart box for example would have support on the inside which is hard to remove.

I know the Zortrax team is hard working on critical updates now, but if possible this would be a nice future update. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I printed this heart. The support wasn’t that hard to remove you just have to be careful. That being said I was not careful and broke one area. This model has very thin walls. The heart works great though.

I’ve never thought of bridging as an intentionally-designed-in feature; for me it’s just what happens when there’s not enough support, like in this “Mysterium Cosmographicum” sculpture by Dizingof that I printed on an Up a couple of years ago. Here it is finished on the bed without any support removal:

The Up software doesn’t offer a preview of support prior to printing, so I didn’t realize that the horizontal beams weren’t supported until like 6 hours into the print, lol. I watched, at first in horror, then in amazement as the Up bridged those 60mm gaps:

Sure, there was a bit of saggy material on the undersides, but it was easily cleaned up to make this a very presentable sculpture.

Now if the Up could do this without any special “bridging-optimized” software, just think what could be done if a toolpath generator was optimized to do it! But even without optimization, it’s really nice to have more control over support density, even just the few options that the Up offers: in addition to the minimum angle setting, it has a zig-zag line spacing and minimum surface area setting - which was obviously set too high for my print :).

[quote name=Iona]I’d agree with that. I assume all bridging requires is ability to slow the print-head down and reduce the flow of the filament slightly in the appropriate places ?
[/quote]

Actually I think it speeds the head up to create the bridge. At least that’s how it looked in that video… Then after it creates bridge it slows down going over it.

[quote name=dhatw]I printed this heart. The support wasn’t that hard to remove you just have to be careful. That being said I was not careful and broke one area. This model has very thin walls. The heart works great though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I also printed it and it wasn’t too difficult to remove with the right tools, but I also broke it in a couple places.

[quote name=Julia Truchsess]Now if the Up could do this without any special “bridging-optimized” software, just think what could be done if a toolpath generator was optimized to do it! But even without optimization, it’s really nice to have more control over support density, even just the few options that the Up offers: in addition to the minimum angle setting, it has a zig-zag line spacing and minimum surface area setting - which was obviously set too high for my print :).
[/quote]

Those kinds of settings would be nice too… I know we’ll get more options in time so we just have to be patient. :slight_smile: