Abort a print

So my first print is lifting from the bed (no biggie, it’s the nature of ABS…I just need to do some tuning)…but I don’t know how to abort the print (other than turning it off and back on again). Any ideas?

-Lon

Also, are there no jog controls?

You can also remove the SD card and it will stop printing… although it usually takes a few seconds before it stops depending on where it is in the code. But even after it stops you still have to turn off the printer so you can rotate the Z screw to lower the bed.

There are no jog controls at this time.

Okay, thanks.

[quote name=The6uest]You can also remove the SD card and it will stop printing… although it usually takes a few seconds before it stops depending on where it is in the code. But even after it stops you still have to turn off the printer so you can rotate the Z screw to lower the bed.

There are no jog controls at this time.
[/quote]

I was quite surprised how easy it was to move the Z platform once the power was removed. Just gently push up or down close to the centre back so as not to strain the platform.

I was quite surprised that the only way to abort a print is to kill power to the machine. Are there any potential problems with just killing the power (for example, the fans stop running, could the hot end overheat?)

I hope they add a feature to abort or pause a print in the future. (I know, I know, it's still Beta).

-J

It is in beta - but we are paying full price not Kickstarter discounted prices that compensate for early adopter shortfalls. It would just be great to know when it’s going to come out of beta ? In fairness it isn’t beta at all. Beta would suggest the software does everything it should and is merely proof testing. The software is in alpha!

At the weekend I bought a new Sony Blu-Ray player, took it home and powered it up. The telephone started ringing so I reached for the remote to press pause but discovered there wasn’t a pause function. I decided to press Stop instead, but similarly couldn’t find one of those buttons either. I ended up contacting Sony later that day and asking what was going on. They responded by telling me I should pull the mains in such events. I wanted to forward to the section of the movie that I was at before the telephone rang - I reached to hit the FF jog button - but there wasn’t one. Eventually I killed the power and decided I would eject the disc and try watching a new movie from the start. But the tray stays exactly where it was because I have switched off the power. I call Sony again and am told to reach inside the machine and turn the screw at the back of the drive - the disc pops out. I now do this every time I stop a movie mid way.

The worst thing is that the player is also supposed to be a Smart DVD that connects via WIFi but it can’t. They said it would play DVDs as well as Blu-ray Discs but it can’t play all the formats it promised in the catalogue. There is also a USB slot on the front of the player but it doesn’t work! It also is supposed to play HD movies in 1080p but will only play them in 720.

When I contacted Sony and asked them when they will address the issues they refused to comment. They wouldn’t tell me when I would be able to use the player properly because they didn’t want to commit to a deadline which they couldn’t meet.

I would have been happy with any time frame within reason as long as I knew I would be able to watch my whole movie collection soon. This week I decided that being a true movie buff I wanted to watch an old favourite movie so went to the shops and bought a cheaper Panasonic DVD player. It was half the size but as soon as I got it home, I plugged it in and it just played the movie straight out of the box. The remote works, it still has DVD regional restrictions, but there’s a code you can use to adjust the region and everything ! Hopefully things are on the Up ! I really hope that Sony fix the machine as it’s got a great spec on paper and the movies that it does play sound awesome?

Give the Zortrax guys some time - hopefully it will get there soon :slight_smile:

I realize I might not have been very clear in my original post to this thread: I'm quite impressed with what this printer does, literally "out of the box". I've never operated a 3D printer before and so far both of the prints I've done have gone flawlessly. I am quite happy I bought this printer, instead of the other options I was looking at.

I'd be very surprised if they don't add "Abort" and "Pause" functions eventually. Until then, if they are fine with me just killing the power, I'm fine doing that. I posted on this thread just to make sure there wasn't some better solution that I wasn't aware of, but perhaps the more experienced owners had figured out.

Yep.. Killing power or removing SD card is it.. I have only had to do that a couple of times until I got it dialed in.

Removing SD card has a benefit. Print resumes when you kick it again. You just push and push again. Could ruin yor data.

This feature is needed I can't believe my Upmini has it and it's way more a basic machine at 1/3 the price it's only shortcut is the little size but it nails a nice fight with any machine outhere.

I was quite surprised how easy it was to move the Z platform once the power was removed. Just gently push up or down close to the centre back so as not to strain the platform.

This probably won't work well, if at all, on the newer printers that have what look like Acme thread screws.  As I understand it the older printers had ball screws, which are much easier to force as dhatw mentioned.

Mike