Acetone Finishing

I tried to finish with acetone a ring printed with blue ZABS. And it doesn't become shiny. Instead it loses its color and gets some white stains. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

your not using your favorite nail varnish remover are you?

also this is how Zortrax states how to do it: http://support.zortrax.com/acetone-vaporizing/

You not using your favorite nail varnish remover are you?

also this is how Zortrax states how to do it: http://support.zortrax.com/acetone-vaporizing/

Did you forget to use [chauvinist] [/chauvinist] tags by accident in your response or was this just with intent?

Did you forget to use [chauvinist] [/chauvinist] tags by accident in your response or was this just with intent?

For one, I have known Andy on these forums for a while and not seen him act in a manner that was with the intent to offend without cause. Plus it could be read as a sarcastic remark rather then an insult. (it does stand that text does not convey sarcasm without the help of smiley faces ;D) To round this out, don't have such a thin skin on the internet, he made a mistake and forgot to add something that showed it was sarcastic, don't jump him for a first offence.

Back on subject,

There are a number of things that can cause this effect car3less is asking about, one of which is watered down Acetone. I have had this happen to me before with watered down acetone. Another could be the ABS to PC in the mixture in the filament has been changed to have more PC then normal. Lower grade dye's being used and other reasons. Could the container used for the treatment have had some residue of other filaments or chemicals? 

Can you post a picture of pre and post vapor parts if you have any? It would help with finding the cause.

-NS

I tried to finish with acetone a ring printed with blue ZABS. And it doesn't become shiny. Instead it loses its color and gets some white stains. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

If you tried it with eco friendly acetone, I can tell you that ain't working. That's what I used the first time I tried to get the shiny finish.

I find you get this often when you 'dip' parts in acetone and they then dry a bit too fast.

The only time I manage to avoid this completely is with vapour smoothing.

your not using your favorite nail varnish remover are you?

No, I don't :))  I never paint my nails :)  DO YOU? :))  :rolleyes:  :D

I bought 2 big plastic containers that close well and pure acetone. Put some acetone soaked napkins on the walls of the containers and placed the objects in the middle of the container on a small metal platform. And I can say that vapour method worked great. I checked every 15 minutes.

I forgot the print in vapours for 2-3 hours  just once and it melted  :P

This is the result for Z-ABS for another project, not the ring:

machete.jpg

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to post your results.

Here is something i have done with Acetone vapor treatment just now - going to make some resin casts of it.