Advanced layer resolutions timeline

Is there a timeline or estimated release date available for the update that will enable the advanced layer resolution options (25-50 microns) as promised in the machine specs?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Just curious what are you going to print with this fine resolution? .001-.002 thousandths might take you a few days to finish a print.. .09mm is only .0035 That's still thinner than a piece of paper.. (.004)

I don't have anything specific in mind, but I'd imagine that printing things like threads at finer resolutions would probably promote better mating with screws and such. However I do acknowledge that it can be difficult to print at fine resolutions, and that layer height isn't the be all end all for quality. The 1.5 micron XY precision definitely contributes there ^_^  Personally I don't have any issue with the 90 micron max resolution, as I feel it's a good compromise between final model quality and print success rate/level of difficulty.

I was just checking over the printer specs when I saw the asterisk indicating that finer resolutions were promised for a future update, and upon googling couldn't find any info about when. Figured it was worth a shot to throw it out here on the forums and see if anyone else knew better than I  :)

I don't have anything specific in mind, but I'd imagine that printing things like threads at finer resolutions would probably promote better mating with screws and such. However I do acknowledge that it can be difficult to print at fine resolutions, and that layer height isn't the be all end all for quality. The 1.5 micron XY precision definitely contributes there ^_^  Personally I don't have any issue with the 90 micron max resolution, as I feel it's a good compromise between final model quality and print success rate/level of difficulty.

I was just checking over the printer specs when I saw the asterisk indicating that finer resolutions were promised for a future update, and upon googling couldn't find any info about when. Figured it was worth a shot to throw it out here on the forums and see if anyone else knew better than I  :)

It has been promised, along with a laundry list of others. When asking staff the best answer you could hope for is 'soon', and that has been said for things that months later have not been released. My approach has been to just hope and see what comes out since little about timeline can be believed.  :)

The 1.5 micron XY precision definitely contributes there ^_^  Personally I don't have any issue with the 90 micron max resolution, as I feel it's a good compromise between final model quality and print success rate/level of difficulty.

I would not take the "1.5 micron XY precision" too literally. In the low end 3D printer business, the number thrown out seems to be the theoretical motion given one micro step of the stepper motor. In the machine tool industry, there are standards to test to (VDI/DQG 3441 or JIS B 6330-1990 are the German and Japanese versions). To prove precision and accuracy, you must test the actual positional accuracy over the entire envelope using a suitable means such as laser interferometry. In belt and stepper motor system like this, there is plenty of lost motion, particularly on direction reversals. My machining center is considered to be quite accurate, with linear glass reticle scales to measure position to 0.1 microns and sophisticated digital AC servos, yet its absolute positional accuracy is only stated to be 10 microns by VDI 3441. My guess is the repeatability of these printers is more like 50 microns, and the absolute accuracy over 100. That isn't bad at all for a $2000 piece of equipment. 

I would not take the "1.5 micron XY precision" too literally. In the low end 3D printer business, the number thrown out seems to be the theoretical motion given one micro step of the stepper motor. In the machine tool industry, there are standards to test to (VDI/DQG 3441 or JIS B 6330-1990 are the German and Japanese versions). To prove precision and accuracy, you must test the actual positional accuracy over the entire envelope using a suitable means such as laser interferometry. In belt and stepper motor system like this, there is plenty of lost motion, particularly on direction reversals. My machining center is considered to be quite accurate, with linear glass reticle scales to measure position to 0.1 microns and sophisticated digital AC servos, yet its absolute positional accuracy is only stated to be 10 microns by VDI 3441. My guess is the repeatability of these printers is more like 50 microns, and the absolute accuracy over 100. That isn't bad at all for a $2000 piece of equipment. 

Mine is off X-Y by about 127 microns.. That's only .005   But you can compensate for that in the software.. I'd say really good for a $2000 price tag..

Don't get me wrong, I'm no evangelist for the absolute precision of any machine; was just pointing out that I'm aware other factors play a role in determining the final quality of a model, not just layer height resolution. However I must say that Zortrax holds up pretty darn well against its competitors in the same price- and capability-range, and even with an expected variance of the actual XY precision, it's still far and above most other desktop models on the market out there right now.

I'm still itching with curiosity about the advanced resolution update, but I suppose I'll just have to wait patiently for an official release  :)

I would not take the "1.5 micron XY precision" too literally. In the low end 3D printer business, the number thrown out seems to be the theoretical motion given one micro step of the stepper motor.

It is real motion of one motor step but without taking in count other factors in future we will release ISO and ASME tests results from professional measuring equipment or even every assembled machine will be tested before shipping, we just got this equipment few weeks ago but not too much time to play with it overall I was shocked seeing so good results or we still don’t know how to take measurements properly :wink:

Best Regards

Martin

If you are measuring things, what would be good to know is the accuracy and repeatability of some printed geometries. Even if the motion is super accurate (and that is what you would put on the brochure  :D ), the printed part is the proof. So for example print a 20 mm drawn cylinder, measure its size and deviation from round, print another one 100 mm away in X and Y, measure their absolute position. Then repeat and measure the part to part variation. 

None of your competitors do this of course.....