Airbrush advice!

I'm thinking for buying an airbrush as I'd really like to have a go at respraying and weathering locos.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice on what to look for, any particular brands or models for example, and what kind of price range

I’m looking at? As a total beginner I’m not wanting to get anything too expensive.

Thanks!

I'm thinking for buying an airbrush as I'd really like to have a go at respraying and weathering locos.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice on what to look for, any particular brands or models for example, and what kind of price range

I’m looking at? As a total beginner I’m not wanting to get anything too expensive.

Thanks!

I use paasche airbrush set, both airbrushes and compressor. I've got most of my stuff from these guys: http://www.artistsupplysource.com/, which has always been very helpful. Good to visit too, if you're in the Sussex area.

xctmpGeVuPT.png

I started with a paasche airbrush set [https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=842

], it’s not the cheapest thing you could get, but it is a quality product, and you’ll be able to keep using it even as you get better and more advanced.

Iwata Neo or Paasche Talon. 

Definitely gravity feed for smal surfaces.

I have a Talon. Love it!!!

Iwata myself, I'd make sure you get a descent compressor as thats as important as the paint and airbrush.

Iwata myself, I'd make sure you get a descent compressor as thats as important as the paint and airbrush.

What sort of features make for a decent compressor?

Mike

For 3d prints, which have a typically small build volume, your best off to use as mentioned a gravity feed but your source of airflow to atomize with the paint is paramount.  Probably the most important factor is the ability to regulate a constant build up of air pressure and using a dual action a.b. be able to deliver that as called upon with little spitting (due to too much (intermediary) valve release in the regulator.  Plus of course, smooth action, quiteness and ability to be able to handle candies as well as straight colors etc.

Thanks co3D.  I have this compressor now:

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/1-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-4610/

Would that work well for air brushing?  It's oil-less, but spits water on occasion depending on the time of year and on how heavily it is used.  I assume that one wants neither oil nor water in the feed to the air brush.

Later...  After looking at Youtube videos it appears that the compressor in the link puts out far more CFM than the Talon uses, so maybe that is overkill for airbrushing.

If you have the airbrush already, you could always test it out.  However I believe your looking for a smaller better suited compressor for airbrush specific tasks.  One that can offer lower pressure airflow like 10-40 psi.  Good luck.

Thanks Jason.  I don't have the airbrush yet but it seems like this the California Air compressor should work fine if a pressure regulator that can go go down to < 40 psig is installed on the feed to the air brush.