Airbrush

Well I suck at painting. I don't think practice will fix my incompetence. lol I think a 2 year old paints better than me.

Thankfully I don't have to print by hand otherwise.....lol

IMGP4986.JPGIMGP4989.JPG

I exploded in tears!

Abstract!!!!!!! :lol:

I have been airbrushing for about 9 years now, auto custom paint, portraits, murals, i hope to try my airbrushing skills on some of the models at some point. I use IWATA Airbrushed, expensive, but very reliable, water based paints COM Art colours liqutex paints, could be clear coated then. What i will do is print something that would look good painted and i shall post it here of course.

https://www.facebook.com/kevingallagherdesign/photos/pb.158250294208687.-2207520000.1430940270./722349191132125/?type=3&theater

Cool. I hadn't given it another try since my FreakyD2 lmao

Been pretty busy lately but I would love to give it another try. Problem is it takes patience, something I never got any of. haha

You got the same kit I bought. Let me know if you have problems getting consistent paint flow. Mine gives me trouble and I don't have enough experience with airbrushing to identify the problem.

I do a little airbrushing, tell me the issues and I will try to help.

Looking at the picture of your compressor, I would suggest you turn the regulator and water trap so the trap is positioned downward otherwise you will get "spitting" of water through the brush and this will ruin your day.

Even doing this you may still have the water issue if you are pushing a lot of air constantly as it does not have time to drop the water before it goes up the hose this is why most compressors have a tank.

Regards

Drew

http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/

I agree Drew.  This one is a little unit. It doesn't really have the capacity to do a nice straight stream because the compressor is constantly working to stay around the same psi but it fails to do so. It works nice in spurts. 

I think I have cheap paint. It works but I believe it could work much better and smoothly. Mine spits sometimes and causes me to wipe off the object and respray.

for 75 bucks for a little air spray gun and a compressor isn't bad, at least for what I want to do. Only I never researched on how to air spray before I got it. 

Years ago I had a commercial air compressor and tank and a biggun. I used it with automotive paint to spray my 85 Volvo White Roll off Truck. 

Ofcourse when the truck sold, so did the equipment. 

That was easy...this fine detail spraying is something else. haha

Just ordered my miniature airbrush set up.

Anyone airbrush their prints?

Curioud on if anyone found the best thinner for acrylic paints. I saw water or alcohol but wasn’t sure which is better.

Cheers.

Yes i use airbrush for the prints and i use paasche airbrush set. Its the world's most popular airbrush - recommended for all skill levels. Sturdy and flexible, the HS airbrushes are dependable and adaptable for practically any hobby or artistic use.

I use water for acrylic paint thinning.

xctmpGeVuPT.png

Well i haven't got the hang of precision airbrush work but it does a great job of blanket cover. lol 

Sometimes my hand eye coordination is like two monkeys with a banana!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I made this Enterprise with Zhips in 4 parts because I wanted to practice welding together without acetone. It came out decent but since my perf board had a slight bend as it is well used, there was more of a gap than I would've liked and can see the weld in one place but the rest came together nicely!

11124554_1607651766168078_35697150708670

nice!

Hi,

Great stuff. I am also airbrushing my M200 prints (twinpilots.com).

I use a Harder&Steenbeck airbrush (Evolution two in one) Before the prints get some sanding and the vapor treatment. I still have quite some fights with my airbrush equipment, because I need too much time fixing nozzle blockages. Do you all dillute your paints? I use them, as they come (Hansa and Schmincke colors). I also need even more control, e.g. when brushing eyebrows.

I also still look for the right matte and very protective coating, both in terms of abrasion/scratches and UV protection.

Ralf

Hi,

Great stuff. I am also airbrushing my M200 prints (twinpilots.com).

I use a Harder&Steenbeck airbrush (Evolution two in one) Before the prints get some sanding and the vapor treatment. I still have quite some fights with my airbrush equipment, because I need too much time fixing nozzle blockages. Do you all dillute your paints? I use them, as they come (Hansa and Schmincke colors). I also need even more control, e.g. when brushing eyebrows.

I also still look for the right matte and very protective coating, both in terms of abrasion/scratches and UV protection.

Ralf

When I use the airbrush on prints, I dilute with clear windex. I had heard that the windex helps the adhesion of the paint much better than just diluting with water. I think its 2 : 1,but really I just make it a nice liquid consistency. 

Good luck

Before I became old I used to be a commercial artist, among other things. I have used many airbrushes and my favorites were the Thayer-Chandler brand. Some internal and others gravity feed. I still have five of them (I don't know why!). Attached is a pic of a Paasche AB Turbo model which was used primarily by "dot etchers".  Job description :Increase or reduce size of photographic dots by chemical or photomechanical methods to make color corrections on halftone negatives or positives to be used in preparation of lithographic printing plates.

If you ever have the need to airbrush an actual hairline, this is the one that will do it. The incoming air spins a turbine which is connected to an offset lever causing the needle to reciprocate picking up one drop of paint from the paint cup which is blown off by the nozzle. Sound kinda sloppy but it is very precise.

Guy

Thanks a lot to both of you. Very good tips. Guy, did you ever think about selling your Turbo?

I think, what I need to do next is, to try to get a special training. I need to connect to people which are used to work with an airbrush at small and curved objects (maybe te figurine artist, which make monsters, aliens etc.). I also never learned about the basics like how to clean the airbrush, how to dillute colors etc. I just bought one and tried to use it, but as I said, I spend to much time fixing problems. Find some examples, of what I need to paint attached.

Ralf

@radinoja: I have thought about selling the airbrush and if you are really interested just PM me. I downloaded a 4-page instruction document from there web site and performed all the maintenance and adjustments.

There are two of the turbo model  currently listed on ebay, one for $300 usd and another for $200 usd. Paasche discontinued production of the turbo about three years ago, but parts are still available.

Guy

@Ralf. I'm blown away by your skill, Ralf. Those pilots are so lifelike they could be mistaken as real! I have a couple of questions: Printed on the M200? If so, what material and resolution? Also what is the scale or size of the models?

Thanks, Renny. Yes everything (heads, Hands, Shoes + accessories) printed on M200. Material is Z-ABS, my most used layer thickness is 0.14mm. Most ordered scales are 1:3 and 1:2.5. Now I am working on 1:4 and 1:2. The Zortrax is an incredible printer. Because of its reliability I decided, to have no molds anymore, but print everything instead. I

It also gives huge flexibility and lowest possible weight, because everything is printed completely hollow. Now I need to stop telling m trade secrets ;-)

Some more recent picures. One customer decided to not put in himself but Roger Moore ;-)

Ralf