Another ...Zsuite feature request

My prints in the X and Y dimensions are extremely accurate, whatever the material, but the finished Z heights are always slightly smaller

by about 1 or 2%.

Eg, If I print some model at 100 mm high, it usually finishes at 98.5 mm.

This seems to be the case with all filaments and filaments settings.

There is a cumulative shortening of the model happening which seems to be directly proportional to the finished height.

Could Zsuite have a small % individual scaling factor included in the 3 axis that I can set as a default to compensate for the shortened heights ?

This may not be what you are talking about but the parts are slightly smaller due to the plastic shrinking when cooled.

This may not be what you are talking about but the parts are slightly smaller due to the plastic shrinking when cooled.

So why do I not have any shrinkage in the X and Y dimensions ?

Maybe due to it being attached to the raft and the way it’s layered in the z axis.

Z Suite has already this ability. Just load your model, go to the tools section, select resize object, untick the lock icon and and then you can scale what axis you want individually. 

Z_scale.jpg

Z Suite has already this ability. Just load your model, go to the tools section, select resize object, untick the lock icon and and then you can scale what axis you want individually. 

This option is only usable (if at all) if the needed offset is known.

Otherwise one has to print and measure the results and try again.

I think there is some problem in Z-Suite (dunno if it existed in earlier versions).

I printed an oval plate at 45 degrees to get least warping and much support for keeping the shape, but actually it was printed with deformation of the upper circle with a difference of about 3-4 mm.

Thanks for your answer Revitorio...... I noticed this feature earlier today and have been playing with it = seems to work.

Cannot set the increase as a default value, have to remember to add the % for each new print.

But at least the function is there in Zsuite.

Hi,

Last part I printed using Z-Ultra is also smaller on z axis by 2mm, it is 58mm instead of 60mm, so it seems a bit too much for contraction, more than 3%. That was my first print on Z-Suite 1.4, I will slice it again using 0.0.9.6 and have another try to confirm result is the same or not.

Laurent

Laurent I am interested in the results, right now I think Z-Suite 1.4.1 is not usable for printing parts upright, but may depend on shape also.

Another software request will be ......

Can the next release of Zsuite be modified a bit so that I can print models with a thicker shell and walls ?

The limit appears to be 6 at the moment, increasing this up to 12 would be good.

Laurent I am interested in the results, right now I think Z-Suite 1.4.1 is not usable for printing parts upright, but may depend on shape also.

Hi,

I made some test with a simpler part (the one I used took 15 hours to print, not the best thing to test with)

So, with 0.0.9.6, height is nearly perfect, 59.98mm, it was supposed to be 60mm, but it may be because of the 1st layer.

with 1.4.1, I tried fast & normal mode, part is 59.45, and the hole is a bit streched. I am going to try without hole

​Caution: I do not used the last fw, I use 0.8.

Yes i am also frustrated with this issue of the Z axis. 

Hi,

There is an already opened in the Z-Suite bug tracker about Z dimension. If you also have this problem, it may be good to give some details on that post and confim the bug, so Zortrax team will be able to fix it more easily.

Laurent

We are working on it as we speak, hotfixed should be released soon. 

Yeah, I noticed the holes were coming out a bit oblong recently. I had to drill out my holes because they were so bad.

(in the picture linked) This hole is suppose to be .765 however it is .727in wide by .687in tall so I ended up drilling it out on our drill press at home. (it was a pinewood derby car with an added CO2 canister for a client if you are wondering what it is)

-NS

Yeah, I noticed the holes were coming out a bit oblong recently. I had to drill out my holes because they were so bad.

(in the picture linked) This hole is suppose to be .765 however it is .727in wide by .687in tall so I ended up drilling it out on our drill press at home. (it was a pinewood derby car with an added CO2 canister for a client if you are wondering what it is)

-NS

We are currently testing a lot of parameters which are responsible about geometry and dimensions, I think within 2-3 weeks we will update the Z-Suite software.

-NS

It's not only about holes, think it's a problem related to at least all round structures if you slice with the recent version(s) of that "most powerful software on the market". 

It's not only about holes, think it's a problem related to at least all round structures if you slice with the recent version(s) of that "most powerful software on the market". 

Maybe you can explain what we should see on on your sheet of paper?

Hi,

I tried new firmware 1.0.1 with the same zcode file produced by zsuite 1.4.1

Z dimension is now perfect, and the circular hole is perfect too

Great job, i am back to work now !

Laurent

Nice news !