Anyone actually see a 30% print speed increase in 1.4

So I was all excited to see in the release of 1.4 they said "Fast" mode would get a 30% speed increase. I got home today and decided to test that.

Model 1:

1.3 Print time: 2h 38m

1.4 Print time: 2h 44m

Model 2:

1.3 Print time: 2h 7m

1.4 Print time: 2h 14m

Model 3:

1.3 Print time: 1h 25m

1.4 Print time: 1h 38m

Now none of these have much in the way of support material so maybe that's where the speed increase comes from? But who knows because we never actually have a clue whats going on.

Just curious what anyone else is seeing?

We have increased speed of the support (over two times faster at the support fill / support lite), infill and idle moves. Contours of the models are printed a little bit slower to increase the quality (reducing artifacts like “ghosting”).

We have increased speed of the support (over two times faster at the support fill / support lite), infill and idle moves. Contours of the models are printed a little bit slower to increase the quality (reducing artifacts like "ghosting").

That's what the Zortrax announcement sounds like:

• Improved printing speed using “high speed” option – average model will be printed up to 30% faster

Why not provide the object(s) (STL or ZCODE) that prints 30% faster in the Model Library?

We have increased speed of the support (over two times faster at the support fill / support lite), infill and idle moves. Contours of the models are printed a little bit slower to increase the quality (reducing artifacts like "ghosting").

Ok, that makes sense. I'll have to find some models with more support to test and see. All of the models I tested are .29 layer height, low infill, and next to no support.

I was also extremely excited for the new software. Here is a 13hr and 8 minute part that I have been producing. With the new software, its only 13hrs and 7 minutes. Default ABS .19 settings on fast and light support. 

10410454_769593406428783_154372813266461

I was also extremely excited for the new software. Here is a 13hr and 8 minute part that I have been producing. With the new software, its only 13hrs and 7 minutes...  :rolleyes: Default ABS .19 settings on fast and light support. 

10410454_769593406428783_154372813266461

If the improvements are where Filip said, your model is a bad example of the improvements too since its all surfacing, next to no infill and a moderate amount of support.

Help me to understand that please.

If we create and / or place our print objects so that they are printed with more infill and support, we would get two 'benefits':

1. get nearer to what Z might rate as an average print object

2. save time because we can reduce up to 30 of the percent printing time

Right?

I've only done one print with 1.4 so far, but some extruder moves are subjectively much faster looking and sounding. I'm surprised that the slicer-reported print times are not faster - maybe the calculations aren't right?

I've seen that faster looking moves too, but you're better off to check and watch this with other models carefully.

I started a fast mode print and after the raft was printed the fast moves  sounded like something is nearly cracking inside the printer.

I had to stop that print also for another reason: The insane printing temps Z uses since 1.3 (or earlier) makes printing on my M200 unreliable because almost every 2nd print attempt fails with extrusion stops and a clogged nozzle because of that. That way I used up another half spool Z-ABS for the waste bin after switching from some PLA prints (wich gave me better results and was running one spool after the other).

Meanwhile I really have to use my Z-Temp to lower the temp for being able to print Z-ABS reliable, or instead use earlier Z-Suite versions.

So I'm back to some anger with that geniuses, asking myself:

- if I have to use Z-Temp to print Z-ABS reliable why even buy it instead of other filament that gives me better results?

- if I feel that new software and firmware versions have a focus to fight the use of Z-Temp (that is what makes my M200 printing relieable finally), why should I use them?

- if I recognize that the remaining focus of the development is mainly for a new product and not really helping the M200 (me), I am back to my ratings I have about Z

@Z-Renegade

No problem here with Z-ABS, maybe you really damaged your extruder or printer with modification and Zortrax was right about it  :smiley:

@Z-Renegade

No problem here with Z-ABS, maybe you really damaged your extruder or printer with modification and Zortrax was right about it  :smiley:

Mark82, I am not the only one that reported temp increase and problems with the last Z-Suite versions and I always test against any mods by removing them and have two hotends available.

These are just facts and even your brainless replies do not change it, since the world is way bigger than the 'Z-Ecosystem' inside your helmet.

BTW, interesting report: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/tracker/issue-112-speed-too-high-vibration-and-blocking/

I see no temperature difference for the Z-ABS profile - it has been stable for a long time now over many versions of Z-Suite. Printer firmware is a different story - I believe changes have been made to the temperature control loop, maybe to improve heating speed, that slightly change the temperature profile over time, especially at the time of print launch, but these have not been a problem for me.

I have not heard any sounds that sound like something is breaking, but the printer certainly sounds different with the fast moves - I love to see it moving quickly for "idle" moves now, it was always frustrating to watch it move slowly when not even extruding :)

I also have the braking problems with 1.4.0. Only on supports.

The printer moves very quick to position, brakes instantly (produces a loud crack) then pauses up to 5 seconds then starts printing supports very fast.

My HW v3 had temp problems from the beginning, producing a lot of extra ooze, stringing, blobs and burn marks. Solved simply but since firmware 0.0.7 temps are mostly all over the place. 0.0.5 had the most stable temps and I am fighting between 0.0.5 and 0.0.7 to get sleep mode.

Still in love 0.0.5.

I have just upgraded to Suite 1.4.1 to check it.

I wonder how it should be possible to damage the extruder by reducing the extrusion temperature with a certain mod. In worst case there is a clogged nozzle, which can be exchanged within seconds. 😉

Oliver, don't wonder it's just always the same BS that comes from that edge.

Just ignore it and don't feed the troll!

I also have the braking problems with 1.4.0. Only on supports.

The printer moves very quick to position, brakes instantly (produces a loud crack) then pauses up to 5 seconds then starts printing supports very fast.

My HW v3 had temp problems from the beginning, producing a lot of extra ooze, stringing, blobs and burn marks. Solved simply but since firmware 0.0.7 temps are mostly all over the place. 0.0.5 had the most stable temps and I am fighting between 0.0.5 and 0.0.7 to get sleep mode.

Still in love 0.0.5.

I have just upgraded to Suite 1.4.1 to check it.

Welcome to the club (omg better nor more clubs...).

Just for the records: My hardware is a V4 and I'm on FW 0.0.5 and will stay there for longer.  :)

I wonder how it should be possible to damage the extruder by reducing the extrusion temperature with a certain mod. In worst case there is a clogged nozzle, which can be exchanged within seconds.

You can raise the temp too. And I could imagine if you run whatever the highest temp Z-Suit setting + the 60 degree (i think the highest it boosts) it might do some damage. But that would take some effort to pull off since if you follow directions you will always be printing from the Z-ABS preset.

You can raise the temp too. And I could imagine if you run whatever the highest temp Z-Suit setting + the 60 degree (i think the highest it boosts) it might do some damage. But that would take some effort to pull off since if you follow directions you will always be printing from the Z-ABS preset.

From http://support.zortrax.com/specifications/:

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 4.26.43 PM.png

275 + 60 = 335º. In practice, the heater does not even have the power to reach this temperature unless maybe you are running it in a sauna.

since the world is way bigger than the 'Z-Ecosystem' inside your helmet.

Snort!